HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Goals, goals, goals. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/168538-goals-goals-goals.html)

Washington Hunter 12-04-2006 11:00 PM

Goals, goals, goals.

Since the 2006 seasons are winding down in most places, I thought it would be interesting to see what you goals were for this year, if you met them, what next years goals might be, and what your ultimate goals are.

I personally met my 2006 goal by tagging a buck with at least four points on one side. Washington state's antler restriction in my GMU is three points on one side, so I decided to set the bar a bit higher, and I managed to pull it off.

Next year's goal will be to tag a buck with at least four points on both sides, scoring over 100 inches.

My ultimate goal at this point is to take a buck sporting matching split G2's. I've seen several mounts with bucks sporting these, and I love the way they look. It may never happen, or next year may be the year, but thats one thing I'd like to get before I'm done hunting.

So, now its your turn. :)

GregH 12-04-2006 11:03 PM

RE: Goals, goals, goals.

Not done yet.

Washington Hunter 12-04-2006 11:04 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Not done yet.
So because you're not done you don't have any goals?

MO_Bowhnter 12-04-2006 11:06 PM

My goal is to take my first deer with a bow. Accomplished.
The goal for the rest of the season is to get my first buck with a bow. To be accomplished.:D

MOmightymite 12-04-2006 11:17 PM

My goal was to take my second deer with a bow. And I shot my second, third, and fourth with a bow. One being a buck. So i went way over my goal, and i am very grateful.

We still have over a month of hunting left, and i would like to be with MO-bow when he gets that buck.

Next year I want to set the bar a little higher than the buck i shot and get an eight or better. We'll se what the next season brings.

shed33 12-04-2006 11:21 PM

Wash, congrats... on your goals andbest of luck next year.

My goal at the beginning of the season was to kill a 150 inchgrossing buck. Two actually if I bought the second tag. I ended up not buying a second tag this season. Thought I would but they all got bought up before I had the extra $ to get one. They cost 255.00. No worries.

With a month left to hunt, I amfocused onmy goal. We will see what happens. I have killed two of mybetter whitetails in the past on the last day and second to the last day :) and I love having this snow and cold temps..it really helps out in regards to congregating deer and scouting.

Oh and I cant let my buddy Hiawatha kick my butt too bad this year! ;)

I do hope to get a cow or bull elk too this month.. freezer meat is needed.

gzg38b 12-05-2006 12:47 AM

My goal was to get a 125" buck or bigger on my first Illinois bowhunt. Mission Accomplished!

I also accomplished my goal of shooting my first archery doe early in the season. Goal met Oct 7.

But my main goal was to keep my streak of no wounded or missed animals going. That goal was also accomplished by going 3 for 3 this year.

GregH 12-05-2006 05:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: GregH

Not done yet.
So because you're not done you don't have any goals?
Same goals as before..... 140 or more or a clean 10 rt (5x5).

rybohunter 12-05-2006 05:27 AM

my goal each year is to whack a bunch of does and shoot a buck that's big for my area. Done. 4 does and a 136" buck. Next years goal will probably be the same.

GMMAT 12-05-2006 05:27 AM

I honestly don't think I went into the season with any "goals". I even waited until the last minute to join the contest......because I didn't know if I'd be a good teammate. I didn't know if I'd shoot,.......or not.

I took my first buck on 9/30 (this is my second season bowhunting....having started on 10/14 of '05). I've since harvested3 more deer (including a piebald!). I'm looking for a couple of bucks in my area.....and I won't shoot (at a buck) unless I see one of them. I may take a doe or 2 if I don't see the bucks by this weekend. We'll see.

I think MY goal was to learn my herd as good as I can. It's taken me most of this season too. I watch them most every day in one way or another. I now know just about where they live (as close as I can get).....and I know where they're going at what point in the season. To me.......these facts are the hardest parts.....and the most challenging aspects to hunting these animals. The killing is the easy part.

I also wanted to become proficient at butchering my own animals. I've had a little practice, now.....and I'm confident in my ability to get that job done.

I want to grow....every year......as an all around bowhunter. Next year....I'll likely hunt LESS days. I won't HAVE to hunt as hard, next year. I also think the early season will be VERY productive for me in '07.

Jeff