Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Goals, goals, goals. >

Goals, goals, goals.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Goals, goals, goals.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Goals, goals, goals.

Just an observation, but it seems to me a lot of people put pressure on themselves to harvest game. I'm not so sure that's a good thing.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think there's a difference between setting goals and putting pressure on yourself to do something. Goals are something that you work toward and hope to accomplish. Yes, you put some pressure on yourself to accomplish them but if you don't acheive them you shouldn't beat yourself up or feel that you failed. You simply reevaluate the situation and set new goals. I put pressure on myself to perform well when the opportunity arises and am very hard on myself if I don't. Conversely, I have a goal to kill a mature buck with my bow and if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

Anywho - I had two goals for this year. One to kill a 2 1/2 year old or better whitetail, which I did. The other to capture a kill on film - which I kind of did. I was behind the camera, not the bow. However, I have a month left to get it done on film (doe only) and I will continue working towards my goal.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

I totally agree with setting goals, not only for hunting, but with anything that is important to you.
In fact, I'm not sure what hunting would be like with no goals? Do you just shoot anything that walks by, or decide when you see it, whatever it may be?
Nothing wrong with changing your mind about a goal, even on the fly, but I set goals for the season, as well as each day hunting. Ask my kids - "what is our first goal for the day"? "go home safe dad"!
Old 12-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

Goals are something that you work toward and hope to accomplish. Yes, you put some pressure on yourself to accomplish them but if you don't acheive them you shouldn't beat yourself up or feel that you failed.You simply reevaluate the situation and set new goals.
I wish I could think of the goals that my supervisor sets for me at work like that.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Goals are something that you work toward and hope to accomplish. Yes, you put some pressure on yourself to accomplish them but if you don't acheive them you shouldn't beat yourself up or feel that you failed.You simply reevaluate the situation and set new goals.
I wish I could think of the goals that my supervisor sets for me at work like that.

You're not the only one - but I dont' think anyone will argue with me that work goals are much different than personal goals - especially when it comes to hunting. Try as we might unless we're hunting in a high fence there's never a guarantee you're going to shoot anything.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:40 PM

Well my goal this year was to take a deer with the bow, And i did i actually took 4 so far. So i am very great full on that.

I also had another goal and that was to shoot a buck and i did. I shot an 11 pointer (the one in my

Another goal for this year is to take a BIG Mature doe with the bow...... Still workin on that one. Almost got her but i didnt get the shot.

Next year i want to take a buck bigger then the one i did this year (not as many points since i think 11 will be hard to beat)

And next year a goal for me is to just kill a deer with my bow.

I think that there is just a big goal in its self.

Old 12-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

Fill the Freezer and shoot a nice buck, shot a nice 9 pointer early Oct. and heading out in about 15 minutes to go find some Freezer meat hopefully

Old 12-05-2006, 12:49 PM

Interesting Topic as I am doing a presentation tonight on Motivation and Goal setting. My goal this year was to kill a booney weather that came with the bow or the rifle i did not care. This was my performance goal that i had set for myself and failed however i met many process goals that i had such as scouting, patterning etc and i have a pretty good lead on a big boy for next season. Goal setting is great but do not always look at the final result or your confidence will lack also look at the processes you went through and what you learnt during the season. I failed my performance goal yes but now I am motivated to try even harder for next year. I attribute my failure to lack of time because I am in college and also the weather was really poor while i was home. These are things beyond my control so i do not let it get me down. Anyone needs a motivational speech lemmie know lol [8D]
Old 12-05-2006, 12:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're not the only one - but I dont' think anyone will argue with me that work goals are much different than personal goals - especially when it comes to hunting. Try as we might unless we're hunting in a high fence there's never a guarantee you're going to shoot anything.
Most of the goals at workare personal goals which must be met. There are also oganization and departmental which are more global.

Well, I guess that when I set a goal, it's something that I strive for and expect to achieve. If I fail, I'm not happy. I don't really set goals in hunting though. I am much more layed back inhunting and just hunt to enjoy it. I wouldn't put a hunting goal on myselflike shooting seven deer within the season, filling my doe tags, or shooting a certain sized rack buck. Don't like to put any pressure on myself to meet a goal like that. I like setting obtainable goals in shooting/3-d/formetc. But noton a live animal. Just a personal thing I guess. And how you interprete the definition of a goal.
Old 12-05-2006, 12:56 PM

im still looking to get my first deer with a bow

Quick Reply: Goals, goals, goals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.