Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How much venison do you guys eat?? >

How much venison do you guys eat??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How much venison do you guys eat??

Old 12-03-2006, 08:04 PM

Default RE: How much venison do you guys eat??

Not much at all. usually keep a half for a bit of dry cure sausage but everything else goes to my neighbor. Get an elk each year and we raise beef so how much meat do ya need.[8D]
Old 12-03-2006, 08:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot 5 so far. Kept 3 for my girlfriend and myself, gave 2 to my parents(who in turn give meat to my brother and sister) If I get any more they will be donated to HSH. Of the 3 I kept, a lot of that meat will be randomly given away to friends/coworkers. Just today I cooked up some roasts and shredded them and dumped BBQ sauce on em and took em in for the guys at work.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:11 AM

I make a ton of jerky and bring it with me to work for everyone else to try. I also grind up most of the meat and don't have to by ground beef for the rest of the year.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

My wife won't eat it, that's fine. I take all the meat I get from my buck each year and have bologna made, I love it. It usually lasts me from one season to the next at around 75 chubs. I give it out to the landowner, guests and friends as well.

I currently have about 5 chubs left and I haven't taken this years deer to the butcher yet. MMmmmm good stuff.

If I want a steak, I throw a Porterhouse on the grill.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

1 deer is not enough to last the year in my house but 2 is plenty.
Friends and family also enjoy the venison so I share the wealth whenever possible.
2 deer a year seems to be my limit anyhow.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Fork Horn

I usually shoot 3 to 4 deer a year. We butcher beef also so we have all the burger and steaks we can eat and the wife won't eat deer over beef. I just make lots of jerky and sausage when the season is over; everybody loves that stuff so it doens't last long. I've got 3 to work on from this year once the holidays are over.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I usually process one a year, mostly into salami and slim jims. The rest get donated to Hunters feeding the Hungry program or given to my family.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

It's my first season to even have this to think about!!

The first deer I took this year was 172 lbs on the hoof. I processed him completely at home....and it put some meat in my new floor freezer (I was confident enough to purchase a floor freezer before the season started). the little piebald I shot wasn't too big....so I had him ground up into burger. The doe.....I had done into sausage. The last buck I donated to a family of 14 that I know of. The butcher donated the processing fee.....and I was going to throw in a gift certificate to the meat center, too. The butcher matched my $$....and all was well.

I've given sausage to a few co-workers......ground venison to family.....and we're eating backstraps, tonight, for the third time since I took my first. We've also had tacos, spaghetti.....and I'm liking the sounds of the manwich thing. My son also used a roast to do a school home economics project....and it turned out great!

I think I'm gonna keep it at 3 in our freezer.....and see how it goes. I might keep more, next year.....or less. We'll see. I can honestly see us going through those 3 in less than 9 months.

Jeff
Old 12-04-2006, 08:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

3 usually does it for my house. Weeat a lot of venison. I'll take a 4th and split it up between the landowner and my neighbor.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:52 AM
Typical Buck

get a smoker,sloppy doe`s,jerky mmmmmmmm

Quick Reply: How much venison do you guys eat??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.