Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 why are the deer so small in florida? >

why are the deer so small in florida?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

why are the deer so small in florida?

Old 12-03-2006, 05:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default why are the deer so small in florida?

i saw a show on a florida hunt, and the guy was so excited over this little 8 pointer, and he said it was a monster for this area...
this made me wonder, why are the deer so small in florida?, there not that far from texas, with basiclly the same weather, and good food, but why are they so much smaller thana texas monster.
Old 12-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: why are the deer so small in florida?

Too Hot!!

Old 12-03-2006, 06:09 PM

i saw a show on a florida hunt, and the guy was so excited over this little 8 pointer, and he said it was a monster for this area...
this made me wonder, why are the deer so small in florida?, there not that far from texas, with basiclly the same weather, and good food, but why are they so much smaller than a texas monster.
good question ! i always wondered myself .
"too hot" do you know that for a fact ?
Old 12-03-2006, 06:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

A better question might be, Why are Texas deer so big? It still puzzles me.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

If the Fla. deer were feed and cared for like the texas deer ranches do than they would have the same results. I'm sure ther are some Fla ranches that have big racked bucks on them from food plots and nutrition aids. The colder the weather the heartier the animal. They need the extra fat to survive the harsh cold winters.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

For the same reason Candadian deer are larger... The phenomenon is known as Bergman's rule, whereraces of warm-blooded vertebrates from cooler climates tend to be larger than races of the same species in warmer climates.

And you guys thought I was just a pretty face!
Old 12-03-2006, 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

For the same reason Candadian deer are larger... The phenomenon is known as Bergman's rule, whereraces of warm-blooded vertebrates from cooler climates tend to be larger than races of the same species in warmer climates.

HAHAHAHA.

Pretty face.

That's whywe have you wearing that Predator camo. Deer wouldscatter from 100's of yards away if they saw that face.

Lucky for that Fall Gray contrast you're safe to unleash that thing in the woods.

EDIT: I must add that I strongly feel Greg is a smart cookie in order to not lose my posting privileges here at HNI. I regress.

Can you stop twisting my arm now Greg?

Old 12-03-2006, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very impressive....I knew the idea, just not the name of it....glad to see someone did. Greg, what kind of degree do you have if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-03-2006, 06:44 PM

Now I don't think you can qualify South Florida as having good food for deer, specially the Florida everglades where most deers are harvested.

The Florida Whitetail deer is a subspecies whitetail, that has adapted to the conditions of a harsh enviorement.

Still I have shot bucks that exceeded 150 LBS in here.
In the drier areas like in the west coast they run on the average 150 LBS or so and can score as high 140 BC.

The further north you hunt near Georgia deers seem to be larger, but still although they might be a subspecies if they had the proper food ,Am sure they would be much larger.
Old 12-03-2006, 06:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Isn't that what I said? lol you want my degree too?

Quick Reply: why are the deer so small in florida?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.