Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Field dress now or later? >

Field dress now or later?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Field dress now or later?

Old 12-02-2006, 12:03 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Field dress now or later?

Gut them where they lay or if in the thick stuff get them out in the open where you can get things done.

I agree with the person that said they start releasing gasses as soon as they die. I was always taught to get the chest cavity opened up as soon as possible.

when I hunt and I do not see the go down, I will walk away from the area for about an hour to give the deer time to expire. There for, to me it is extremely important to get the chest cavity opened a quickly as possible. Old timers told me it makes the meat taste better. It doesn't get that nastiness into from layhing dead with the guts still in it.

Old 12-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: furgitter

For the last 30 years ive been gutting my deer where they fell.Now on the primos 06 seasion i noticed that they load em up and do it later i guess.Do ya thing a gutpile scares deer,or are they just being tidy?
I was taught by my uncle to bury the gut pile with dirt and leaves out of respect (this an old jewish custom) and I`m not saying that a deer can`t smell it any more,but I`ve seen deer walk down the trail with out noticing any differance in thier behavior when they pass the gut pile.
Old 12-02-2006, 06:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I dress them out where they lay, although some areas it is more populated and folks do not want to see a large gut pile laying beside their house. So I guess it would depend on where you are hunting at on whether you dress now or later.

I hunted in Southern Maine and deer do not seem to mind a spot where deer have been dressed out. But, up here in Northern Maine deer will travel away from an area where one was dressed and it will take about 2 weeks or so before they come back.
Old 12-02-2006, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always gut them where they are. I've never seen any ill effect from it either. In fact, one of the best deer I ever took was about 20yds from a 1 day old gutpile when I shot him. With all the critters around, they only last a day or two anyhow where I hunt. I really can't imagine NOT gutting one right there. I guess if I was hunting in a neighborhood or something maybe it would be different.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:28 AM
Dominant Buck

Since I'm usually not loading, but rather dragging I do it now. Besides that, who wants a gut pile back at the house to dispose of. Leave it for the critters.
Old 12-02-2006, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

We usually take them back to my golf course/hunting club. Field dress them in the rough someplace[:-][8D]. Usually the action around the golf course is winding down around the time hunting starts. So not many golfers get traumatized by the gut piles lining the fairways.