Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Calling in a Doe? >

Calling in a Doe?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Calling in a Doe?

Old 11-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default Calling in a Doe?

I am yet to get a deer with a bow. I have been trying to take a buck since opening day. I hunt in a public area and am yet to see a buck. I have seen probably 20 or more does. I have tried every trick in the book but I just cant seem to find a buck. I have rattled, grunted and tryed every possible buck attracting scent on the market. I am now to the point where I am willing to take a doe. Is there any good calls or scents for calling in a doe besides a fawn cry. I have had does cross my estrus trail and turn away. I even grunted at a doe and she also turned away.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Calling in a Doe?

does will never come to a grunt, the can might work some times

Old 11-29-2006, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, you have located the deer, have you considered leaving all the scents and calls at home? Have you had does in range in the past but held out for a buck? If so try sitting that stand again when the wind is right and see if they don't come in to range on their own. Or if they are staying out of range think about moving your stand to them. Also, how well do you practice scent control? How much are you moving around on stand? All things to consider. EDIT: I disagree with soap. The grunt is a social call. I have used it to call does in.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bucks are easier to call into range than are does, from my 20 years of calling experience.

Go with social calls, contact calls, bleats and fawn calls.

If you want to spook more than you call, try fawn distress calls but be prepared to blow out deer.

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/deergrunting/deergrunt.html
Old 11-29-2006, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

ive never seen a doe come to a buck grunt
Old 11-29-2006, 11:15 AM
Typical Buck

I have had does come to a soft grunt. Like everything else, nothing works all the time and some things seldom work. I for one have never had a deer come to a bleat, but there are plenty of people on this board that swear by them so I keep trying.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:54 AM
Typical Buck

I am very particular about my scent. I wash all clothing and myself before every hunt I use freshearth cover scent on all gear and clothing I dont smoke and I keep all gear sealed in a bag until I arrive at my hunting spot. I have not had a doe within bow range this year. I have seen a few just outside of range. I am having a hard time trying to pattern these animals. I think that they have become nocturnal in this area. The deer that I have seen have been deer that I have spooked out of there bedding areas. Thats why im resorting to trying to call a doe from its bed to me.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

The doe I shot this year came to the original can, bleat call. She was about 75 yards away, and not coming my way, so I tipped the can twice, she acknowledged that she heard it the first time, but started my way after the second bleat. I've had plenty of deer, bucks and doe not come to any call.
Like was said above, sometimes calls work, and sometimes they don't!
Old 11-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know for a fact that the can will work calling in a doe. Last month while bowhunting, my uncle and me were walking in the woods and came upon 2 fresh beds. We must have jumped them from there beds. We both got to are stands and at 4:00 I hit the can. Not a second later I hear the same call behind me aways. A little later I do it agian and the same thing happended. At 4:30 I do it once more, hear a twig snap and saw a doe not 40 yards away. She saw me got the hell out of there. She must have been looking for the other doe my uncle saw at the exact same time about 100 yards away. Only time thats happened to me.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:19 PM
Typical Buck

I do have the primos estrous can and have used it quite a bit in that same area with no luck. Does the fawn bleat work as well as it appears on TV. On TV they will blow it for a couple of mins and then all of a sudden every doe in the area comes running in trying to be a hero. It seems like it would be hard to get a shot off when the doe is running around in a crazy panic.