Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 is hunting a ranch really hunting? >

is hunting a ranch really hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

is hunting a ranch really hunting?

Old 11-29-2006, 05:12 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: is hunting a ranch really hunting?

300 fenced acres isn`t cooped up? Hmmmm Let me tell you how whitetail deer live buster t - Take any midwestern state, Mn. for instance,we have a whopping 15 deer per square mile outside the metro area( inside ,it`s more that,about 400 in places) same as many other areas,do you know how many acres are in a square mile? (I have no idea) a whitetail buck has been know to travel as far as 150 miles from where he was born.That`s Gods way of keeping animals from inbreeding,which will ruin good genetics in a hury.Any given deer will travel 2 miles aday,and have an average of a 12 square mile radious where you could see him at any time,don`t try to tell me that 300 acres isnt cooped up for a herd of deer.It`s unnatural( p.s. this is not my humble opinion these are facts)
Old 11-29-2006, 05:21 PM
Typical Buck

if i remember right there are 640 acres in a square mile, im not sure if the "300 acres and $1500" were exact numbers, perhaps just an example. imo i wouldnt hunt high fence, and i know its not great for the real sport of hunting, but i guess what other people do with their money is none of my business as long as it isnt breaking a law. If those deer ever get recognition in the record books though, that is where a problem would arise. For my sake and my children's sake, i hope that never happens.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:28 PM
Typical Buck

they have a record book of thier own,theres a 2 year old deer in texas(in captivity)that will set a new world record by age 4 if his growth pattern continues. 300 was hypothetical,I know there are ranches in texas the size of the state I live in (more sarcasm) as was 1500$ I have never paid to hunt so I have no Idea how much it would cost to shop for a 185 class buck
Old 11-29-2006, 05:31 PM
Spike

640 acres in a square mile.it is known as a "section" on your maps. Hunting deer on a high fenced parcel of 300 acres would turn my stomach.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:36 PM

aren't some ranches fair chase w/o fences? as long as it's not fenced-in i don't see a problem w/someone paying a few thousand $'s to hunt, even tho i would never do that. it's still you vs the deer.

i saw one advertisement for a ranch upstate new york that had elk hunting on 300 acres. that's rediculous, your hunt (if u could call it that) would be over in probably 10 minutes. pathetic...
Old 11-29-2006, 05:38 PM

Shooting an animal behind a high fence, in my opinion isn't hunting. I haven't done it, so I can't spoak first hand of how difficult it is or isn't.

Hunting on a ranch which practices QDM is entirely different. Anyone who thinks all ranches in Texas running hunting operations are high fenced is mistaken. Many of these ranches are so large they excede the home range of a buck. This allows the operator to manage the herd without fences, and know that the deer herd he is managing won't be shot on some one elses property. Are the deer herds on these ranches larges than other places? I don't know. Are the bucks bigger? Yes, because that's what they manage for. So, is it hunting? In my opinion yes. It is hunting. Is it worth paying the prices they demand to shoot a big buck? Not in my opinion. Could we all shoot big bucks without paying? We could, but it would take an attitude change by all deer hunter. We would all have to agree to not shoot immature bucks, and to shoot more does if nessesary to balance the herd. Am I comfortable telling others how to hunt and what to shoot? No. I hunt to because I like the interaction with nature as part of the cycle, and I like eating venison. I've shot mostly does, but if a buck comes by, big, or little, it's coming home with me.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

I posted something like this on the deer hunting forum. It was called outfitters and guides. Those deer on large parcels of land to me don't seem to be what we call a high fenced area. Out west the ranches are so vast that a hunter couldn't cover all of it in one hunting trip. I have been to Colorado, Wyoming, Texas and a few other states to hunt muledeer, antelope, and elk. Never hired a guide and scored every time except for the one time I hunted Colorado, by the way the Colorado tripwas the oneI enjoyed the most. We always called the ranchers before the season to get permission and sometimes pay what they call a trespass fee. The most we ever paid was $100.Other times we would take them clothes for their church, apples and other food stuff hard to get out west, and working supplies, such as welding rods etc. Sometimes we hunted public ground. I don't have a problem hunting the ranches as long as I do the scouting, the preparation, and no one tells me what I can and cannot shoot. We always camped out on the property we hunted . Camping out in the west is the greatest. I think every one should make at least one hunting trip out west.
Just my 2 cents.