HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   bowhunting buffalo (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/167406-bowhunting-buffalo.html)

demoIL 11-28-2006 08:51 PM

bowhunting buffalo

I have a chance to go on a buffalo hunt in January.. Only 600.00 if you use a bow.. First off I don't like to hunt fenced animals and that's what this isBUT I'm guessing for what it is maybe it's the only way sinceBuffalo don't really roam free in large numbersanymore..:eek:
Has anyone ever hunted Buffalo with a bow and if so howwas it? I would never hunt deer or elk etc... etc.... fenced in but what are your feelings on something like a Buffalo?

I wonder if I can pet it before I shoot it.. LOL :D J/K

childers 11-28-2006 09:09 PM

RE: bowhunting buffalo

dude you are going to hell if you shoot a fenced in animal. teddy rosevelt wouldnt do it to the bear and neither should you

SRBowman 11-28-2006 09:13 PM

Oh shut up!

ORIGINAL: childers

dude you are going to hell if you shoot a fenced in animal. teddy rosevelt wouldnt do it to the bear and neither should you

gzg38b 11-28-2006 09:20 PM

That sounds like an incredible opportunity. I think it would be awesome to take down such a huge animal with a bow.

I am totally against high fence hunting HOWEVER I'd make an exception if the animal no longer exists in the wild. I believe there are some small free roaming buffalo herds near Yellowstone but I don't think you can hunt them (I may be wrong). Anyway, enough about that.

As far as setup, I'd suggest at least a 70 pound bow with at least a 500 grain arrow. I'd use a 1" diameter cut on contact broadhead like a 2 blade magnus stinger to make sure you get good penetration. Good luck - post pictures.

childers 11-28-2006 09:24 PM

i mean its ok to hunt them but not in a fenced in place all you have to do is go to wyoming and u will see thousands of elk and buffalo. i go there every year. and yea you can hunt them there

JimPic 11-28-2006 09:49 PM

enjoy your hunt!--but i wouldn't try to pet one-fenced in or not

demoIL 11-28-2006 09:55 PM

Not too thrilled about the fenced thing and if I don't do it that will be why, but it's one big arse fence and you'll never even know it.. Pretty much like a free roaming animal but I know it's still not.. All I keep thinking is 800lbs of meat and hunting a buffalo with a bow for 600.00, lol....

It was just an offer and I just wanted opinions on it, not sure yet.. I have some other really fun hunts coming up (although some with a rifle) but this was just a spur of the moment type thing.. You also get to shoot wild hogs.. Mabye not a good idea if ya have to questions the ethics of it..

demoIL 11-28-2006 09:58 PM

I know, this is what I usually tell my customers when they tell me they are doing a fenced hunt.. Ahhh, good for you.. Do you get to pet it first.. lol

ORIGINAL: JimPic

enjoy your hunt!--but i wouldn't try to pet one-fenced in or not

davidmil 11-28-2006 10:03 PM

Go shoot a Chevy or a Ford or something sporting. A buffalo in a pen??? What int the hell are you thinking man. Why not go ask the nearest farmer if you can buy one of his cows for $500. You'll save $100 and get a bunch of lot better meat. If he agrees, just pull out your bow and shoot the dang thing. Makes a whole lot more sense to me, and like I say... much better steaks. Hunt a buffalo in a pen. I'd rather go hunting in Baltimore on a pay day night where the animals shoot back.

HNI_Christine 11-28-2006 10:16 PM

I'd go for the meat. I wouldn't call it 'hunting'. Call it interactive grocery shopping.

That's what I call it when I go down to TN and chase/get chased by hogs.

I have fun, usually get some meat, a bunch of exercise and it sure beats sitting on the couch.
:)