Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 bowhunting buffalo >

bowhunting buffalo

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bowhunting buffalo

Old 11-28-2006, 10:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: bowhunting buffalo

and it sure beats sitting on the couch.
Dare I say..... you may be sitting on the couch with the wrong people.[8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D][8D]
Old 11-29-2006, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Gotta tell ya. I'd do it in a heartbeat! Especially in a large (as you said)fenced area.

But I'd have to say this is the ONLY animal I would hunt that way.

Why, because unless you pretty much hit the lottery, there are not free ranging Buffalo that can me hunted.

Buffalo hunting is part of the American Heritage. And to take one with a bow would make it even more complete. For me - longbow.

If you really want to read something exciting, get the Book Hunting the the Hard Way by Howard Hill. First chapter (I believe) is about his Buffalo hunt on free ranging Buffalo in Wyoming, even then it was very difficult to get a permit. He did it on an Indian Pony riding full speed shooting his longbow.

Old 11-29-2006, 08:15 AM
Fork Horn

Go and enjoy yourself, you have the opportunity to make the experience as memorable as you want it to be.Respect the animal and make a good shot you owe it that much. I think I would recommend a cut on contact broadhead and heavy arrow to get good penetration. Good luck and get some pictures posted.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is a very large buffalo ranch in Wyoming that I grew up around. If the area is as big as this one they are more or less free ranging. That ranch is very large and it would be fun to hunt one with a bow. I got to drive out into it to video tape them and one started chasing the jeep I was driving. I can not imagine being out there on foot. That would be a little scary.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:56 AM

Agreed, is like shooting a sponge wall or a car, the worst attack or defense they show isthat they just stare at you and keep roaming grass!
ORIGINAL: davidmil

Go shoot a Chevy or a Ford or something sporting. A buffalo in a pen??? What int the hell are you thinking man. Why not go ask the nearest farmer if you can buy one of his cows for $500. You'll save $100 and get a bunch of lot better meat. If he agrees, just pull out your bow and shoot the dang thing. Makes a whole lot more sense to me, and like I say... much better steaks. Hunt a buffalo in a pen. I'd rather go hunting in Baltimore on a pay day night where the animals shoot back.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:26 AM

Gotta tell ya. I'd do it in a heartbeat! Especially in a large (as you said)fenced area.

But I'd have to say this is the ONLY animal I would hunt that way.

Why, because unless you pretty much hit the lottery, there are not free ranging Buffalo that can me hunted.

Buffalo hunting is part of the American Heritage. And to take one with a bow would make it even more complete. For me - longbow.

If you really want to read something exciting, get the Book Hunting the the Hard Way by Howard Hill. First chapter (I believe) is about his Buffalo hunt on free ranging Buffalo in Wyoming, even then it was very difficult to get a permit. He did it on an Indian Pony riding full speed shooting his longbow.
I've done it. It's tougher than any of these guys can tell you even in a large 1200 acre high fence area or larger. And no these animal will not let you get close enough to pet them. Be very aware they can kill you especially because they are herd animal with the instinct to charge you in a group. They are very aware of you before you can close the distance.
Shot placement is parimont as usual anda heart shot is the way to go with your first arrow. Their lungs are as big as a compact car's doors and it takes a long time to kill one from a double lung shot. I would say any fixed blade broadhead will do and any arrow with 425 grains or greater will do just fine with 200 plus fps. I'd be pulling close 70# as possible and still keep your accuracy up there.

Which bison species are you taking?Wood or plains? Bull or a cow? The wood runs a bit smaller around the 1200 # and the plains can go 1800 or more. The meat is super and take some pictures.
Best of luck to you!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

To each his own... I would say good luck but you probably don't need too much luck as it is a High Fence "Deal"! JMO!
Old 11-29-2006, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have never seen a buffalo in a high fence. They can not jump that high so a normal height fence is all that is required. I am sure they could run through it if they wanted to though.

my boss has a 100 + buffalo and they are in a 40 acre pen and he has the smaller ones in some smaller pens. but even when they see us everyday. they are still really really wild when feeding them in the big pen i have had the bulls charge the skidsteer. everytime you go into the pen you risk your life so i would say go for the hunt and dont feel guilty about it cause cause they are alot more wild then alot of free roaming buffalo. and good luck

Not for me.

BTW, davidmil. Good luck buying that cow for $500. I just spent $1.56 per pound hanging weight. I love beef.

Quick Reply: bowhunting buffalo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.