Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Big scrapes?

Old 11-28-2006, 10:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Big scrapes?

I've seen this before in very close proximity to several scrapes. I honestly think it's just where a couple bucks came together and duked it out. Multiple bucks will use scrapes, and when you find an area where there are several within a few yards it most assuredly or most often, the result of several bucks overlapping or trying to steal the gals affection. It was just probably a meeting of rut crazy kids that decided to see who was biggest and toughest.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Fork Horn

wow, never came across anything like that. Good find!!

Old 11-28-2006, 10:40 PM

sliverflicker is right. A massive scrape like that is called a primary scrape meaning not only one buck in the area uses it but most likely all of the bucks in an area use it. Be careful approaching the area but please do us a favor and hunt by that spot! By buddy Kshunter harvested a 180 class 20 yds from a scrape similar to the one you have pictured. I am very positive this is what it is, if it was made by deer and i might mention i do know a bit of biology and behavior.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:12 AM
Typical Buck

Yup, it's a primary. Pitch a tent and camp there.
Old 11-29-2006, 02:51 PM

Thanks once again guys! I went there again today and it had rain just a little and I am about twenty yards from this scrape and it was so strong with buck urine I could smell it in the blind, but there was a slight breeze coming my way. I assume the rain kinda reactivated it. Once again thanks, just wanted to share something cool!
Old 11-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Is there a bedding area near by? If so I like to set up between the scrape and the bedding area. Catch a big boy crusing!!

No doubt that is a primary scrape area, used by dominant bucks!! Good luck and nice deer
Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found one very similar last year

Old 11-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Spike

I seen a scrape this year that covered about 8 feet in length. It was on the edge of a couple bushes. Thinking it was from several deer. Only had a chance to hunt the area once so can't tell what kind of deer were around.
Old 11-29-2006, 04:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Germ

Is there a bedding area near by? If so I like to set up between the scrape and the bedding area. Catch a big boy crusing!!

No doubt that is a primary scrape area, used by dominant bucks!! Good luck and nice deer
Yes there is. I think the bedding area is about forty yards on the other side of it in the direction the camera is pointing. Here is a pic of a nice little button buck I passed on at the bigging of the month. He is standing about fifteen feet to the left of the scrap, but the big up close branch blocks were the scrape is now. But if you notice he is standing by a wall of brush and thickets and he is in front of a main trail going into thearea. About ten yards into it it opens up into an somewhat open area and I have found a few beds but have only been there once cause when I realized it may be a bedding area i got out and did not want to screw it up. The scrape is right next to the corner of the pond which is the first clean open water they come to for the area. If you notice in the pic there is no trees in the open area in the background and the only one is was back there with no access to get to it because of the swampy and marsh area around the small piece of high ground I have found in there. Sorry so long but I just wanted to give ya guys some more info asI think of it and germs question made me think of some. Thanks guys.

Here is the pic of the button going into the bedding area I spoke of.

Old 11-29-2006, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, never seen one that big. Are you the only person huntin the property? Maybe could have been a mock scrape...

Quick Reply: Big scrapes?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.