Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Shooting Does!!?? >

Shooting Does!!??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shooting Does!!??

Old 11-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Shooting Does!!??

Maybe look at it this way. Killing off some does makes more room for other deer to move in from other areas. We know that most bucks are pushed from their birth territory early in life. If they find lots of cover, food, low competitionand space they'll settle in your area. They pick a home territory NOT based on lots of does to breed in a 2 week period. They pick it for the reasons stated above. I agree the DNRs have gone over board in some areas and states and they find out when kill numbers fall. They then revamp their doe permits etc. NY has had a big decline in doe tags in some countiesand more in others the past 2 or 3 years. They do it based on kill reports. That's why it's important to file them as required by law.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Typical Buck

Greg pretty much summed it up. Charles Alsheimer wrote that with too many does the bucks would spend an overly amount of time breeding when they should have gotten back to eating before the harsh weather sets in, thusly adding to their weakened state and adversely affecting their chances of survival. He also suggested there was no real "second rut" but that actually what was happening was with so many does the bucks aren't able to service all of them and the ones that don't get breed in the rut go into a dormant stage and come into heat later in the season, therefore later breeding by bucks instead of foraging. NCYankee also has a good post and something that could be missed. I always thought taking a large older doe was the best but saw a show that was indicating younger does should be taken to reduce herds as the older does would be drying up and less productive in their olde years as opposed to a younger doe which would have more years ahead for production.
Old 11-28-2006, 05:08 PM

Where im at. Were forced to shoot a doe, Before we can shoot a buck. I dont like it. But owell

The more does we kill the better chance of buck ratio. Theres to many does in our area. so the WDNR has found a way to get rid of some does. because alot of people wont shoot a doe. I have no problem shooting a doe. I even shoot does when its not required to shoot a doe before a buck. A doe is a deer isnt it? It has meat dosnt it? You dont eat horns do ya? There ya go.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:29 PM
Typical Buck

Here's a statistic (can't remember the source) for you that might give you a clue:
Number of deer-related vehicle accidents in Fairfax County, Virginia: more than 5,000

Any more questions?
Old 11-28-2006, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

this is totally off topic but I thought that arappahoe thing was queen Latifa!