HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   ticks,ticks,ticks,what do you do? lyme disease???? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/167159-ticks-ticks-ticks-what-do-you-do-lyme-disease.html)

monsterbuckland 11-27-2006 04:59 PM

ticks,ticks,ticks,what do you do? lyme disease????

the ticks are just out of control this year!!! i pulled 19, 19 ticks off my clothes tonight, and a few off my body and ive never been bit before but 2 times in the last week, its really warm this year, even the dog gets tons, its crazy! cant they do something to kill them?? its getting dangerous! have anyone of you ever infected w/ lyme disease??

mobow 11-27-2006 05:00 PM

RE: ticks,ticks,ticks,what do you do? lyme disease????

I've never, but I know a guy that was. He's no longer with us, sadly. I don't think you'll kill them all, but prevention is the best.Spray down w/ that unscented bug spray....I think Scent Killer makes one.....prevent them from biting you is the best you can do.

monsterbuckland 11-27-2006 05:02 PM

he didnt die from that did he

mobow 11-27-2006 05:03 PM

ORIGINAL: monsterbuckland

he didnt die from that did he
Affirmative. He surely did. I'm not sure that's very common, but he had a bad case of it.

Zdeerslayer 11-27-2006 05:05 PM

My dad had it, its definately a tough thing to go through if its bad enough.

Rob/PA Bowyer 11-27-2006 05:25 PM

In all my bowhunting/turkey hunting years I've never once noticed ticks on my cloths let well enough alone on my skin, until>>>...

This year on more than one occassion I've pulled ticks off my clothing, after one turkey hunting morning I've pulled off more than I ever even saw before. This morning I pulled one off my gloves as well. I can't even fathom it, 25 years bowhunting...none, this year it's common. I hope that's not things to come, I'm itching thinking about it.

Dubbya 11-27-2006 05:32 PM

Get some "no stinkin' ticks" it works pretty well. Also you can use Permanone on your clothes only and it lasts for quite a while. I've sprayed my scent killer over the top and never had any ticks nor get busted by deer. I've been fortunate this year and haven't had any at all.

FLOutlander 11-27-2006 05:34 PM

I have Lyme Disease. Was infected when I was 13. They were able to catch it early enough, but I'm now left with premature artheritis and carpeltunnel. I'm 28 years old, but my body/joints feel like I'm 60. My knees are by FAR the worst. Lost of cartilage and tissue damage. Also, due to Lyme Disease, my body's natural ability to repair and rebuild cartilage is hindered greatly. I snap, crackle, and pop a lot when I move, and yeah, it's painfull.

Bottom line, make sure you were a BugTamer or equivilant suit while hunting. Take a shower as soon as possible when you get out of the woods.

MO_Bowhnter 11-27-2006 05:39 PM

Your still getting ticks this late in the season? I get ticks in the spring summer and early fall but when mic oct rolls around the ticks seem to dissappear. I hate the things but have grwn accustomed to them most of the year. My uncle had one imbed in his head...think a little lower.[:@] Yea that couldn't have been a good experience.

WBowhunt 11-27-2006 05:40 PM

Unfortunately I have had it, Last summer I started to feel really run down, but played it off to working to much and then acting like a teenager while playing with my kids, but then I noticed a small red rash on the back of my thigh. My wife finally convinced me to go see the Doc and after listening to my symptoms and then seeing the now rather large red rash on my leg. He immediately gave me a prescription of these giant horse pills I had to take for 10 days. He told me that it was good that I came in and that if caught early it is easy to get a hold of, but if you wait to long and it really gets a hold, it can be years of medications.
But on the good side, the rash went away and I started feeling better. But to be honest, I still don't feel like I am back to 100%. Maybe it is just a mental thing, but I seem to feel run down all the time and it has been a year, then again I do have two jobs and two small children, so it could have nothing to do with the lyme's from last year.
I never found a tick on my thigh, but the Doc said that it was most likely a deer tick and not one of the run of the mill wood ticks which is what is most commonly seen on our clothes. The deer ticks are tiny. about the size of a pin head. My only suggestion is if you find a tick on your skin, they say to pull it off and place it in a zip lock bag. write the date and location you found it on your body right on the bag and keep it for about a month. If during that time, you find a bullseye shaped rash or start having flu like symptoms or feel really whiped out all the time. Take the bag and yourself to the Doc and have them check it out.