Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ticks,ticks,ticks,what do you do? lyme disease???? >

ticks,ticks,ticks,what do you do? lyme disease????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ticks,ticks,ticks,what do you do? lyme disease????

Old 11-27-2006, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: ticks,ticks,ticks,what do you do? lyme disease????

I've pulled a few off the dog recently and she is nowhere near the woods or trees, just the grass yard in a sub division. I used toget them everytime out alone with chiggers but since I started useing Permanone I have never found one on me or my cloths
Old 11-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Last time out in the woods, maybe 2 weeks ago, I found one crawling on my hand. Kinda late for ticks, but its been warm. During spring turkey season, I use repel with permanone on my clothes. that definitely does the trick. It dries odor free, have had deer come right up to me while turkey hunting.
Old 11-27-2006, 08:32 PM

Simple solution,,,Coulston's Duranon Tick Repellent clothing treatment..Odorless when dried, deer will not smell it, spray clothing and hat and gloves and ticks and chiggers are a thing of the past..I even sprayed last weekend when the temps were in the middle 20's in the morning, and was the only one to come out of the woods with no deer ticks(nobody else sprayed, thought it was too cold), in fact I have never had a tick or chigger when I have used the product as directed...One of the best on the market, and one of the few products that actually work...Also available in a formula for cats and dogs...
Old 11-27-2006, 10:07 PM
Typical Buck

usually we have alot of snow on the ground by now in mn. this year we dont.I have never been bit by a deer tick and this year for some reason we had an abundance of them.I got bit and got the bullsey bruise,my mom is an RN andretired asthe charge nurse at the local hospital,I showed her and she immediately wanted me to go in,I did not go in and it went away,never got bigger than an inch or so.The cases you need to worry about are the ones that get the size of a basketball,usually on the back where people dont see them for a week.I found two more on me at other times this year that didnt bite.as for someone dieing from it,thats like winning the lotto,not something that happens very often
Old 11-28-2006, 02:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

The cases you need to worry about are the ones that get the size of a basketball,usually on the back where people dont see them for a week
I find that very hard to beleive after digusting everything I have read about lyme. I would worry about any little bullseye rash.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:23 AM
Typical Buck

Read some more than,The fact is a very very few number of deer tics carry this disease ,and if you get bit by any deer tic for long enough you will have a bullseye rash,but if it doesnt go away for a month it will grow to the size of a basketball or bigger,one like mine the size of a thumbnail you that goes awa in 5-7 days not to worry,like I said it would be like winning the lottory only....differant [:'(][:-][][&o][&o][:-][][:'(]
Old 11-28-2006, 05:03 AM

we have lots of ticks where I live in NY also. I have been bitten twice this season so far. I always spray my clothes down with permenone (repel) from walmart. So far both ticks that bit me were pulled off dead!!! I can't figure out how they bite me then die.. do I have poison in my blood or did the bug spray kill them once they came into contact with my clothing? I did not develop any red rash or bullseye thank god.. There has to be something the DEC can do about the ticks.. isn't there a spray they can cover the forest with from a chopper? I know they spray NYC streets for mosquitos with trucks
Old 11-28-2006, 05:11 AM
Typical Buck

The one that bit me I thaught was dead too,I was getting in the shower,found him on my leg,put him on the sink,and when I got out he was gone. BTW if you find one you should take it to a hospital they need to test them so hopefully we wont have to worry about them
Old 11-28-2006, 05:39 AM

the second one I pulled off my side was flat like a pancake and it's legs were not moving while I held it in my hands.. I put it on the sink to see it it would crawl and nothing.... I eventually washed it down the drain. My father actually duct tapes the bottom of his camo overalls to his boots so the little buggers cannot crawl up his pant legs.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:01 AM

I think it would be almost impossible to bag and label every tick I find, I would have a dozen bags every weekend.