Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Nailed by the Game Warden >

Nailed by the Game Warden

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nailed by the Game Warden

Old 11-26-2006, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Nailed by the Game Warden

The Others are right, just pay the fine. You were in the wrong.

I'm curious as to where your buddy is on this issue. Did he offer to pay your fine for putting you "between a rock and a hard place"? It was your fault but I just wondered if he offered.

You stuck your neck out to save a friendship, what is he doing to save it now? Are you guys still friends after all this?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:42 AM

I know that must have been a hard decision to make but it was obviously the wrong one.

Will your friend still be your "friend" if you told him to pay the citation issued to you?
Old 11-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

You knowingly aided your friend in committing the violation. No different thanif you drove him toa bank knowing he intended to rob it. That was your first mistake and one worthy of a fine. Then you lied to an LEO in an attempt to cover it up. There's another violation and imo a far worse offense. Just pay the fine. You're lucky it's as small as it is. My bet is, if you hadn't lied about who your friend was, nothing would have happened to you.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I think you know deep down what you did was wrong ,I wouldn't think that they could add the other charge's at a later date .BUT it could be a beginninjg of a lot of hasstle from the warden in the future. I'd just pay the fine and consider myself lucky that I never recieved the fine's your friend had recieved .Next time stand by your gun's and say what you feel and you won't have to go through this again .

nubo
Old 11-26-2006, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: dohcrxl
Now I'm in a position where I had to choose between sticking up for my friend of 10 years or lying to the Warden as well.
I was put in a similar situation once by someone I didn't know. Several years ago I was an Aprentice carpenter in IL. Once every 3 months we had to spend a week at the Carpenter school. We were assigned a specific week but it was common to do a different week if you knew you would be laid off soon. Well one afternoon after the classes were done I was fishing in the Illinois river across the bridge from Pekin. I had a licence and was fishing legally. Every time during the summer, spring, and fall when the weather was good I went fishing there. There were usualy some nice cat there.

After a while one of the guys from my week showed up with a guy from another week (I didn't know him). Well soon after a CO comes up and checks me and them since they are with me. Neither of them was fishing and the guy I didn't know gave a false name even though I didn't notice since I didn't even know his real name. After the CO left the guy said they better leave and took off. The CO must have had some suspicion and run the plates I guess because he was sitting just on the other side of the levee. Anyway the one I know comes over the hill and gets me. The CO asked us how come we let the other guy lie about his name. I told the CO flatly that I didn't know him since he wasn't in our regular week. I did not know what his name was. The only one I knew was the guy he was with.

Anyway it turned out he had a warrant out on him for a hit and run I think (although it could have been a failure to appear). Neither I nor the guy I knew got in trouble although he could have probably gotten Norm (the one I knew) for it.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: dohcrxl

Thanks guys for reaffirming and bringing into light what could've happened but didn't. My buddy's stand and bow were confiscated while I was allowed to take mine home. My priviliages were not taken away and that is the one thing I am most thankful for. I don't even want to imagine how miserable I'd be without bowhunting. It is what I live for.Never again will I even allow anyone and their equiptment in my car unless I know for sure they are legit. Never again will I try to cover for someone. This is a first and last.

As for what I allowed to happen though I kept insisting against it, I'm just a push over for a friend. I valued his friendship so much so that I didn't put my foot down. I'm not the type to dictate what people should do. As they are responsible for doing what they do, I am also for standing back and letting it happen.

I didn't think that merely being with him carried a violation but now I know. I also know or at least can imaginethat thecharge of "party to a violation" is far less severe than "obstructing a LEO" which I could've gotten.Expensive lesson learned.
Well I think we all have learned something!! Tell your friend to pay the fine[8D]

Old 11-26-2006, 10:14 AM
Typical Buck

I haven't read all the replies, but I thought I would throw this out there.
It was definately wrong what you did, and you know that. But I know how I would feel if I was put in that situation , and since you put yourself on the line. I think your friend should at least pay part of your fine. I don't think he should pay it in full since you are responsible too. But instead of trying to get your charges dropped to a lesser charge, I say negotiate with your friend since you have both been punished for what you have done.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:25 AM
Typical Buck

Wow,he really put you in a tight spot,I`m not agreeing with what you did but I understand why you did it.Thinking maybe we can get away with it if I agree with what hes saying.It all comes down to right and wrong,and lieing is wrong.Jesus forgives ,the law does not.Hes still your friend so heres what you should do to him
Old 11-26-2006, 10:54 AM

But what would you do, back-stab yours right in front of him?
Just to add a little comic relief, you can't stab him in the back with him standing next to you....[8D]

Anyway, to answer that question.....HELL YES!!! Without hesitation! First, no friend of mine best ever put me in that situation to begin with. I sure wouldn't them.....Second, it's a dog eat dog world out there. Eat, or be eaten. When it comes down to me or "you" (not specifically you, but you understand...) It ain't gonna be me!!

Friends are friends.....and we do what we can for each other, but there are lines and limits. Both were crossed in this case, IMO. This is just me, and by no means advice, but that would be the last time I spoke w/ that "friend."

Cut your losses and run. Pay the piper, and don't make it worse than it is. IMO, you knew he was illegal and went anyway, which makes you an accessory. If you didn't know, that may be a different situation, but you did. I'm not sure about where you live, but poaching deer in MO carries w/ it some pretty stiff penalties, if you catch my drift.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:59 AM
Spike

Very simply put:
1) Obstructing an officer is providing misleading information=guilty
2) Party to a crime is being involved in the commission of a crime and doing nothing to stop it=guilty
3) Don't expect anyone on this forum to feel sorry for you when you made us all look bad by knowingly committing these crimes.
4) If you had no knowledge of his intention to commit these crimes, I'd say he should help you pay the fine. Fact of the matter is, you knew of the impending violations and you did nothing to stop them. The fine is yours, take responsibility for your actions and pay it.

Quick Reply: Nailed by the Game Warden

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.