Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Tentacles of Death! >

Tentacles of Death!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tentacles of Death!

Old 11-25-2006, 09:52 AM
Site Buck Guru

Default Tentacles of Death!

These are actually Multiflora roses, but I call them the tentacles of death. I call them that because when you walk by one, and you accidentally touch it, it will instantly grab you. Usually it will grab your hat and pull it off your head. When you try and retrieve your hat, it will wrap itself all around your body. Like a python or an octopus, the more you struggle and fight, the more tentacles you will have wrapped around you. Let me tell you.... these guys leave a mark! You will be cut, scratched and bleeding. They can pill up a brand new Carhart and it certainly will not look new anymore..... not with all the scratches, tears and blood all over it. It is best to steer clear of them. Animals won't go near them unless they have to. It is a good hiding place for rabbits because not much else can go throught them.

Do any of you guys have these where you hunt?

Old 11-25-2006, 09:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Tentacles of Death!

Fields full of them, in fact, here, the deer and bear tunnel through them.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

cant rightly say I have seen anything like that here in TX but we do have what I call "wait a while" which is what you usually say to your buddy while you untangle yourself
Old 11-25-2006, 10:04 AM

hell yea, GregH. , been there done that. Didn't like it a dang bit.

Hurts just looking at em'.

Steer clear and be safe.

God Bless.

Old 11-25-2006, 10:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know exactly what you are talking about. One of my favorite archery stands here in Pa.is surrounded by these vines, along with a mix of greenbriers. Its a complete circle of this junk, but only about 8 feet deep. I use my limb cutters and tree saw early in fall to cut an entry point and return frequently before hunting season to keep the path open. It seems this stuff grows almost overnight. Some vines are 1" thick with thorns that don't break loose. Even with a path cut through this mess I still will sometimes get hung up in the tangle of thorns if I'm in a hurry, but once inside the maze, its a super hunting spot.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:12 AM

My ears have been bloody more times than I care to remember.

But here's one worse than that. Last year I was clearing a path through a bunch of M.R. to hang a stand. The plan was towalk in from one side, shoot towards the lanes on the other, plan was going to work in this situation. So I'm working my way through the vines, using a pair of bypass pruners to clear the way. Snip, Snip, Snip...grab cut/loose vines, toss away.

All untill I give a good yank on a thick vine that hadn't been cut yet...Talk about an instant change of mood. Had to stand there for a few minutes picking thorns out of my hand/fingers dripping blood all over the place. Looked like I'd just been on a barbed wire rope swing. There must be some kind of 'poison' on those things too, 'cuz my hands stung like a sum'o'bi%%* for a few days.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:53 AM

Ouch... I am glad to say that I have nothing like that where I hunt. That thing is just scary looking!
Old 11-25-2006, 11:10 AM

yOU TRY AND PLOW TOUGH IT BUT NO THE HARDER YOU PUSH THE HARDER IT HOLDS YOU, YOUHAVE TO REMOVE EACH THORN ONE AT A TIME.a FRIEND OF MINE HAD A BEAGLE GET CAUGHT IN IT AND HAD TO BE CUT LOOSE.
Old 11-25-2006, 11:11 AM

That is a non native plant, they planted them years ago in fencerows and they have spread. Yes, terribly painful
Old 11-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

We call em sticker bushes or briar patches and they are revelant here also.

Quick Reply: Tentacles of Death!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.