HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Would you guys shoot fighting bucks? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/166331-would-you-guys-shoot-fighting-bucks.html)

Finch 11-21-2006 08:46 PM

Would you guys shoot fighting bucks?

I thought of an interesting question while sitting on stand yesterday evening.

Say you're cozy in your stand/blind and and two buckscome in the area. They obviously don't like each other and lock up. Just to throw this into the mix, they are two of the biggest bucks you have come across in your hunting career. Before the bucks move out of range:

-you take the shot at one, and they become free. You retrieve your buck and all is well.

-or, you shoot and they do not unlock. You then have one dead deer attached to a live one.

Would you even take the chance and put yourself in this situation?

This isn't all that far-fetched. It could happen. [&:]

mobow 11-21-2006 08:54 PM

RE: Would you guys shoot fighting bucks?

Rifle season is over here in MO, so I can kill 2 bucks w/ archery equipment....both on the same day. I'm shooting, and just to be really, really greedy....I'm hopin for both. :D\

Actually, I seriously doubt I would shoot. I mean, think about it....2 bucks are going at it, do you think I would really get a good shot at one?? They are always moving....

Tribal 11-21-2006 08:58 PM

If I have a shot? I mean a real shot maybe with one standing after running off the other heck yeah. Hopefully its the bigger antlered one that is standing.:D

walters444hunt 11-21-2006 09:16 PM

IF I WATCHED THE FIGHT I COULD TELL POSISSIBLE WHO WAS WINING AND IF I HAD A SHOT I WOULD TRY FOR THE ONE WHO WAS LOSING FOR 2 REASONS THE WINING BUCKS DESERVE TO WALK AND THE LOSING BUCK MUST BE A GOOD SHOOTER OR HE WOULDNT BE TRYING TO BE DOMINENT

TurkeyT 11-21-2006 09:32 PM

I'd wait and watch the big boy will be standing his ground as other runs off. If not I'd play the waiting game.

RDHunter 11-21-2006 09:45 PM

If I was sure that I could get a good shotat one , yea I would take the shot and if I was lucky to get a second shotat the other I'd shoot at that one too.

Finch 11-21-2006 09:52 PM

I guess I forgot that some of you guys are allowed two-a-day.[:'(]

SRBowman 11-21-2006 09:55 PM

absolutley i would shoot! Only if I was presenterd a good shot though.

JimmyMo32 11-21-2006 09:58 PM

without a doubt i would shoot

davidmil 11-21-2006 10:02 PM

Probably would in a heart beat, depending on the deer.

Red Hawk 11-21-2006 10:24 PM

I'd wait until the biggest one, won or lost (if he loses, hope he doesn't get too far away) :)

txjourneyman 11-22-2006 05:37 AM

Yes, I would shoot. Then if they were still locked up and I didn't have another buck tag I would call my brother in law and tell him I got one for him to shoot too!

GR8atta2d 11-22-2006 05:41 AM

I wouldn't, not while locked. But if they got free I'd be slinging arrows!

Shooting them locked.. would be like shooting a sitting bunny, or a floating duck, or a pheasant on the ground. IMO not the most sporting opportunity.

Arthur P 11-22-2006 05:49 AM

No. Too much chance of them moving and turning a great shot into a terrible shot. And then, even after the fight, with all the adrenaline and lactic acid build-up in the muscles, the meat won't beall that tasty anyway.

txjourneyman 11-22-2006 06:01 AM

I didn't think about those things. I can rethink my answer here, I would not have been able to in the field. With that in mind, if the chance ever comes up I will enjoy watching.

alwyshntn 11-22-2006 06:22 AM

I would just think that getting a shot on one let alone both would be a stretch in itself....I mean two bucks really going at it with all the twisting and thrashing around I doubt you would be presented with a reasonable shot while that was happening. If you were it would probably be because they were standing there unlocked for a moment squaring off. In which case you would be presented with a shot and they wouldn't be locked together.

Thats my scenario:D

heeze gutshot shortee 11-22-2006 07:12 PM

TWANG...BANG..next question

OhioHunter222 11-22-2006 08:50 PM

yea i would shoot one of them, and then if they were both still locked then i would saw the other ones antlers off, that way i get 2 pair of antlers and one dead deer. win/win?

hardcorehunter 11-23-2006 10:50 AM

Simple answer to your question; does a fat baby fart?
If they ramble by my stand fighting and they are huge, I would take the biggest. If they are indeed locked, go geta few guys, hold the live one down, and cut an antler off him. Ta da; he is free and you have the one you took.

hardcorehunter 11-23-2006 10:53 AM

If I walked upon two deer locked, exhausted, and no way could free themselves. No way would I take the shot. The kill would not mean anything to me as I had not hunted the buck and used my skill to harvest him. Once again, go get some guys; hold the deer down, and saw off a rack to free them.

RyansTitan05 11-23-2006 02:54 PM

Depends on how the the angle, and how active the fight is! I would never risk a shot, unless I was sure of the shot!

Sliverflicker 11-29-2006 12:14 AM

Two of the biggest Bucks I have ever seen? I have two tags left, I will kill bouth of them, Were are thay?

kansaswiderack 11-29-2006 05:42 AM

Had this opprotunity several years ago. I watch 2 bucks fight from approximately 1/2 mile. When it became obvious they were stuck, I got my buddy and we put them out of their misery (sp). There was no seperating them even at the taxidermist. He eventually cut off the one non typical point that caused the problem. They were not huge deer but they make a great conversation piece mount.

JESUS loves archers 11-29-2006 07:49 AM

In mn. you can only shoot one buck a year [:'(]so I would be forced to wait.My friend greg had this happen to him and he waited for them to break it up,when they did the loosing buck ran whithout giving him a shot ( not that he wanted a shot anyway) but the dominant buck ran to the top of the hill after him a ways and stood there all proud offering him a 40 yard shot or so standing right in front of a fence where 3 horses stood there watching,then trotted off -I woulda puked in my mouth

bowtech die hard 11-29-2006 10:20 AM

I'd take the shot.

shed33 11-29-2006 11:43 AM

Ditto what Hardcore said...

KodiakArcher 11-29-2006 12:12 PM

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

I guess I forgot that some of you guys are allowed two-a-day.[:'(]
In the right area I can take four so I guess I'd shoot both the fighters and try to rattle in a couple more bystanders. :D:D:D