Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm Sick

Old 11-20-2006, 03:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default I'm Sick

I shot my first deer/buck this morning and lost the blood trail. It just went away. I had a broadside shot at 17yds and felt very confident about the shot. I watched the deer turn and run but I almost swear his tail was tucked. I gave 40 minutes, got down to retrieve arrow and take note of the blood as to whether I wanted to track imediatly or wait some more. Found broadhead end of arrow with blood on it but I smelled it and it kinda smelled like paunch. I found blood trail with blood on both sides of deer (small amount on entrance side and baseball size spots on exit side). The blood was bright red some places and bright and dark in others. I decided that I would track more due to the color of blood, thinking maybe muscle hit being I did not find fletching half of arrow. Anyway, I jumped "A" deer, whether the one I shot I do not know. The blood trail did not go in that direction but close to it. Tracked more and blood indeed went away from where deer was jumped. Spooked "Another" deer in the process. Whether the one I shot I do not know. Blood did not go in that direction either. Kept tracking, blood ran out. Kept looking. Went across fence into cutover and totally by accident found another drop. Kept tracking. Made loop thru cutover and started going back in direction of hunting area. Pine straw tracking and only found 2 drops after entering pine straw. I went home as I am exhausted. Eat lunch, wait an hour, head back out. I goback to the last blood and follow direction it headed before running out. Crossed fence, went back and forth in pine orchard and walke fencerow. Nothing. Went back to blood and started grid search. Searched for another 1.5 hrs. Nothing. Went back home, back to shot site and grid searched about 2 acres around a pond. Nothing. I am sick. I will have a hard time sleeping tonight. I guess I may go back tomorrow. Kinda discouraged and really don't know where to go next. Now, let the basting begin or maybe sympathy or maybe any good advice please.

LT
Old 11-20-2006, 03:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: I'm Sick

LTK, sorry to hear that man. Bad things happen from time to time even to the best. The only thing that I would have done differently is when you jumped the first deer and thought that maybe it was the one you shot you should have backed out and came back 6-8 hours later. A gut shot will not usually bleed very much and can take that long to kill them. Your only hope when you gut one is to back out and let them die. Usually you will find them right by a fence that they didn't want to jumpor near water, but they need a long time to die. When they get up and run the blood trail is very tough to follow because they just aren't bleeding enough. Just my 2 cents. Hopefully you will find him.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:37 PM

Dude, I've been there, and it sucks bad!! I feel for ya. I'm not gonna pick you apart, but as soon as you thought "paunch" I wouldn't have taken another step for 8 hours. But that's neither here nor there now.

All you can do is all you can do. When it's over, just make sure you can tell yourself that you did EVERYTHING you could possibly to do recover that deer. Sorry man.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know, the paunch routine, but man it was my first deer and I just guess I rushed the tracking. I'm hating myself right now. But you know what, I'll be back tomorrow with a new attitude and new hopes. I will not be defeated by my shortcomings on this deer. I intend to hunt tomorrow morning and then try more grid searches and water holes/fences. All is not lost, but I am sick right now. Thanks for the kind words mobow.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:14 PM

You have to wait. I know your were excited but you have to. Next time you'll know better. Good luck!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:18 PM

The only two positives I can give you is #1 its a broadhead cut, deer are remarkable at living through cuts like that and #2 LEARN from your msitakes, think back and whatever they were correct them
Old 11-20-2006, 04:37 PM

L.T., I've been there as well. Sounds like to me you are doing everything possible and that's what counts at this point. EVERY bowhunter has wished he did something different "after the fact".Try tofind at least one friend to help you look. More sets of eyes the better and you will keep each other motivated when one of you starts getting down. Good luck. One more thing- they will definately circle back around if they feel the need.
Old 11-20-2006, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

More than anything, I hate it for the deer. He lost his life for no reason at this point except for me to learn from my mistakes. Like I said though, I will go forward with a few lessons well learned from my mistakes.

LTK
Old 11-20-2006, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

sorry to hear you are having problems finding your deer. Make sure that he didn't back track on his trail and cut off in another direction again. Had this happen to my buddy last year. Track stopped and there was no blood. I walked back up the trail 35 yds. and found where he had turned around walked back up the blood trail and took off in a different direction. Do you remember seeing the arrow hit the deer. High, low, to far back, to far forward?

Shane
Old 11-20-2006, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobowhuntr

Dude, I've been there, and it sucks bad!! I feel for ya. I'm not gonna pick you apart, but as soon as you thought "paunch" I wouldn't have taken another step for 8 hours. But that's neither here nor there now.

All you can do is all you can do. When it's over, just make sure you can tell yourself that you did EVERYTHING you could possibly to do recover that deer. Sorry man.

Ditto

Quick Reply: I'm Sick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.