Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Gun Hunting

Old 11-23-2006, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gun Hunting

ORIGINAL: OhioHunter222

we are going gun hunting next week and i think i might be the only one at camp that is bringing a bow. im going to bow hunt the first day and if i dont get one then im going to gun hunt and then kill one with my bow, i want to get one with my bow so bad.
Go get'm
Old 11-23-2006, 06:55 AM

When I lived in arkansas the locals ran their dogs on my property to drive deer to the road so they could shoot them. That was the lamest bunch of crap I have ever seen.
We have so many deer where I live if your aren't successfull it is your own fault. I bowhunt while my buddies gun hunt on the same property, doesn't bother me a bit. If they shoot more than once I really give them a hard time
Old 11-23-2006, 08:38 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Killer_Primate

3. Will breaking stalk - this is where you stalk an animal over great distances. You'll need to have access to a lot of land and snow definitely helps. Over the course of the stalk, the animal learns that you are stalking him. Each time you see each other, he learns that he hasn't been harmed. Eventually he'll let you get closer and closer, as he is becoming curious about his stalker and the persistence is something he's never experienced before. Eventually you will break his will and you'll get a shot, but probably not with a bow, and it will take all day.
Just curious if others have tried hunting like this?

I've only had an opportunity to try this once (don't hunt too many big areas), but the deer ended up going into a huge feeding area and I could not follow tracks from there.

Do the deer actually get used to you trailing them and allow you to get closer?
Old 11-23-2006, 10:13 AM

I love to bowhunt.I have taken a doe, a button buck and this year a nice bodied forkhorn buckwith my bow.A lot of people only want to hold out for big bucks but I bowhunt public land because day trips to my club land is a little too far for me and my bow opportunities are very fleeting.I muzzleload hunt at my club land and have had some good luck on nice bucks.I also gun hunt my club land and scored on a nice 10 pointer 2 years ago.None of my shots are over 80 yds gun hunting.I like all forms of hunting because I like to be in the woods.Our club lease is all woods so drives would not work but I really don't have anything against them.For myself though I will never take a shot at a running deer.Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-24-2006, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

c str,
I am by no means an expert at the will-breaking stalk, but I watched my father pull it off more than once, and I've had some success with it as well. We too have lost them in heavy traffic areas, which can happen to anyone on any stalk, but here is what I would consider to be "the trick" when using this approach.
The animal you're stalking shouldn't view you as "stalking" him. You should just keep appearingwithan unthreatening demeanor. You just happen to be traveling the same route as he.
The first time I witnessed this style of hunt I was way too young (to be walking all day) and didn't really enjoy it, but learned a lot from it. I'm guessing I was around seven years old. My father and I followed a nice buck from sun up, to almost sun down when we'd approached a field that the buck had started to cross. There was a low area in the middle which the buck has started down. My father propped up a broken/rotted limb over a fallen tree trunk. He then instructed me to break the branch and walk back into the woods, away from the buck when he gave me the signal. We had made eye contact with this buck probably twenty times that day, and never took a shot. I was very tired and in low spirits and didn't have any reason to believe this time was going to be any different. Anyway, with my father behind a large tree, ready to shoot, we waited until the buck started making his way up the other side of the hill across the field. Once we could see him, my father gave me the signal. I stomped on the branch, which made the buck look back at me/us, and then I started walking directly away from the buck, back into the woods, which we some what open woods. After I'd walked for a while I stopped and looked back at my father. He was giving me the "you'd better keep on walking if you know what's good for you look". So I kept walking. Soon a shot rang out. I couldn't believe it. I know my dad, and he only takes good shots.
After making my way back I learned that when this buck heard the branch he looked back at me, and when he saw me leaving, he started to follow me! He made his way back down through the low area up to the top of the first hill where my father was able to take him.
We have a few opinions as to why he started to follow me. The first is that he simple wasn't following me, or all that interested in me, but wanted to return to the area thathe'd come from. Or perhaps there was a bigger threat up ahead that we were not aware of. Maybe he did want to get a closer look atwho had been following him. I'm not sure, but I do know that he was at least used to us enough, to not be spooked enough to not want to go back into a set of woods that we had just followed him through.
When I was older I used this method, mainly because there was a light snow on the ground, just as there was in the above story and there was a nice set of tracks going through some scrapes that belonged to a buck I was hunting. I followed him for about three hours. Every time he'd see me (that I was aware of) I would act as if I were just walking and looking around. I didn't see any point in pretending I wasn't there, or hide, because he knew. We ended up making a big circle and coming right back to where we'd started. About a half hour after that he was in a field that he and some other feed in at night, and stopped to watch me. I started walking at about 45 degrees from him, like I was going somewhere else. He stood in the field and watched me walk right through the grass. I was getting closer and closer even though I wasn't walking directly towards him. After I got to with in around 150 yards I simply raised the rifle, turned and shot in one motion.
If you try this, I'd recommend bringing a good size pack with a lot of supplies. Even though you will be doing a lot of walking, you probably don't want to find yourself in a bad situation with out some bare necessities. You'll need to eat, probably sleep. You'll need to change your clothes if they become wet from sweating or crossing wet areas and so on. You may end up needing shelter, or even get hurt and you'll be alone. The pack will get heavy, but if you plan to spend the night outside you'll probably have a better attitude about carrying it.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I was telling RobPA this past weekend.......whenever I see a deer mounted or see photos of someone's trophy.....I ask the same 2 questions.

No 1 - What state did you harvest the deer in?

No 2 - What weapon

I'm a fan of people that hunt their home state. My deer here aren't that large (due to many reasons).....but they're "mine".

On gun hunting........"I" (emphasis on 'I') just don't understand putting on camo to sit in a box blind. Why exercise scent control when you're at 250yds? In my opinion......gunhunting is "shooting". When you MUST be within +/- 30 yds of your prey......and your prey happens to be a whitetail deer......and you succeed. Now THAT is impressive (again, to me....). I've said it before.....the planets nearly have to line up for everything in a successful bow harvest to come together. It's a feeling that's indescribable to those who haven't done it.

Then.....I watch a fat guy in a box blind with a heater dress up in full Mossy Oak drab.......in his box blind with the heater and the padded seat shoot a buck from 250yds that saw him....but thought he was too far away to be a threat. Forgive me for not being impressed by said hunter's prowess.

My bow harvests, though few, have months of background stories leain up to the moment of truth. How I got access to the land.....how I figured out how to get to that tree, that day.....even if it's blind luck I got there....I had to be ready for the planet alignment.

When I rode Harley's.....we used to have a saying. "If I have to explain it.....you wouldn't understand".

Jeff
Well Jeff,
I am not a fat guy, and I don't have a heater. In fact my stands are permanent, so I have to be very resourceful when it comes to scent control and gun hunting. Try putting some hoppies #9 and burnt gun powder on your bow and then see how close you can get them too you. I get them in right there under my stand.
This is good. I now understand. You are ignorant. How about we talk in a couple of years, you know, when you're out of your second season.
Old 11-27-2006, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I am spoiled in that I have sole access to land that can't be hunted with a gun. it's too suburban. I'm the only person hunting these deer in about 300 acres of prime hideout space. When gun season rolls around......nothing changes, for me. i don't see a difference in the deer movement.

Were I in a different location in this area/country.......I might have a different outlook. I'm not. I don't. My views are a product of MY experiences/views. It bothers me not if your view differs. That's what makes this place great.

Jeff
Wow,
Only hunter there, but where are all these gun hunters that arein YOUR area?
Access to this land alone, and in like your second season. Hmmmm...
Ouch!
Old 11-27-2006, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Great story Killer!
Old 11-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt with a bow, I hunt with a rifle, I hunt with a shot gun.
I hunt whitetail, bear, turkey, water fowl, and small game.

I am a hunter and sportsman- what are you?

Just a thought as I read all the comments from other "hunters" and "sportsman" in support for each other.
Old 11-28-2006, 06:04 AM
Dominant Buck

This is good. I now understand. You are ignorant. How about we talk in a couple of years, you know, when you're out of your second season.
Speaking of "ignorant"....(go look it up....it's not that derogatory) you're "ignorant" as to how I hunt. I give you an honest OPINION.....MY opinion....and now I'm "ignorant"? Also....what does my deer hunting resume of 2 years have to do with anything we're talking about, here? I think I've been mildly successful. I know I hunt ethically. Am I not entitled to an opinion?

I'd love to know what you can share with me in a few years. Care to elaborate?

Jeff

Quick Reply: Gun Hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.