HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Need Ideas For X-mas Present (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/166045-need-ideas-x-mas-present.html)

greenboy 11-20-2006 11:48 AM

Need Ideas For X-mas Present

Listen you guys i need your help i want to get my kid a new bow for xmas hes has a 25 inch draw length and can pull 50 pounds easily i looked some martins and some parker bows what would you guys suggest.

Washington Hunter 11-20-2006 11:51 AM

RE: Need Ideas For X-mas Present

I would suggest taking him in and letting him shoot a few bows in your price range.

I'm sure he'll be happy to get whatever you purchase him on your own, but I think not only will he be more satisfied with a bow that is fitted exactly for him, but he'll enjoy being a part of the process of picking the bow out.

Bob H in NH 11-20-2006 01:50 PM

You should be able to pick up good deals on the "lower priced" model soon. Bowshops tend to stock alot of these lower end bows and when the next years come out, they have to dump them. Got my son a brand new Hoyt last winter, saved about $150 over what it was listed at 2 months earlier.

Get a bow that has several inches of draw adjustment that fits him when set at the shorter end, and if he truely is pulling 50 lbs already, get 50-60 lbs of draw weight. He'll be all set pretty much for life.

wi_buckstomper 11-20-2006 01:50 PM

id get something that fits him really good. It might make him frusterated when he cant shoot well if he has a to big of a bow. Id say take him to a bow shop and let him shoot several brands and sizes of bows and let him make the desision.

Buellhunter 11-20-2006 02:25 PM

Darn, I thought you wanted to know what I wanted you to get me for Christmas:D

I think that is cool you are getting your son a new bow. I agree, take him with you and see which one he likes and feels good to him.

terbzz 11-20-2006 02:40 PM

yah i am having that same problem to i am 13 and i want a new bow i can pull back like 55 for sure almost can pull back60 and i have a 24 inch draw length

the kidd 11-20-2006 02:53 PM

man terbezz ur a trong short armed guy hahahaha

nah but i pull bak 50 easily but i ahev a 26 inch draw lenght i like the martin bows and like that they are drw weighted at 50 to 65 lbs but ive never shot one before

terbzz 11-20-2006 03:27 PM

yah i look into martin

OhioHunter222 11-20-2006 04:29 PM

idk about the martins never shot one, but i like my browning micro midas more and more every day, just make sure you get him proper spined arrows so they shoot right. i use my dads st epics and they are over spined. idc it shoots a decent group and this is my last year hunting with it.

PABuck_HNTR 11-20-2006 04:42 PM

Not trying to discourage anyone, but just because you can pul back 55 lbs and almost 60 doesn't mean you should buy a 60 lb bow. Remember those muscels/tendons in your upper back/shoulder take time to adjust to shooting constantly. Sure if your gonna shoot 1 or 2 times every other day you can shoot 55 lbs. If you want to shoot alot start lighter than you "think" you can draw. I'm only telling you this because a shoulder injury takes months and months to heal. I speak from experience. I was shooting 60lbs regularly for 4 months in a winter league twice a week about 30 shots (including practice). No problems! I bumped my bow from 60 to 65 lbs for the spring/summer 3-D shoots shooting on average 3 times a week at 40 to 60 shots ( includes some practice arrows) and I strained a muscel in my left shoulder and it took from the end of June till a few weeks ago for me to be able to shoot my bow without any pain. JUST BE CAREFUL!