Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Rushing the shot !!! >

Rushing the shot !!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rushing the shot !!!

Old 11-17-2006, 06:13 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rushing the shot !!!

Happened again tonight.
As soon as I drop the dot on the deer, I release (red dot scope)
Shot over her back at 15 yards.
I have been rushing the shots all year, I tell My self I wont, but as soon as the deer come in the heart starts racing and logical thought is gone.

How do I relax and think aim placement through ?
Tonight they came in from behind and hung up about 10 yards behind me and stayed there for about 20 minutes acting nervous, then finally retreated, but looped around and 2 walked right in front at 15 yards, I drew and released as soon as the dot setteled on her shoulder.
I knew I screwed up as soon as I released, to high to start withand she dropped at release.

I know I need to aim lower, I just rushed it, But I knew I had been aiming high and was sure I would "think" the next shot through.

I have beengun hunting for 10 years and get 4-8 a year, so I am no stranger to killing deer, this is My 2nd year bow hunting and cannot shake the "rushing the shot"

Any Advice ??

Many Thanks,
Slack
Old 11-17-2006, 06:16 PM

Default RE: Rushing the shot !!!

Welcome to the club! [&o]

I gotta work on it myself. Maybe someone can help us BOTH out!
Old 11-17-2006, 06:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

Make yourself count to 5 before you release. Then slowly squeeze the release. It will get better with expierence.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:23 PM

Repeat this in your head;

Aim.
Pick a spot.
Aim.
Breath.
Aim.
Release.

That deer isn't suddenly going to bolt and take off. You should have plenty of time to relax, pick a spot, and release.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

could it be the red dot scope that as soon as you put it on th deer you want to hit it I dont know i am just thinking about this i havent rushed a shot yet because i like to draw when they go behind a tree and it usually takes them a second to come out from behind the tree which gives me time to relax but i think wash hunter hit the nail on the head
Old 11-17-2006, 06:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rushing the shot = bad results!

The more times you hunt and take shots on live game you will get better. But you just have to try and remember to take your time and breath. Make sure you settle the pin and follow through just like practice. Don't fire wildly and try to watch your arrow.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:46 PM

I also do the samething but i hold my breath because it seems like they can hear anything! thats my prob and droping my arm.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did this on my first few deer with a bow. Luckily I still got them because they were just chipshots (15 yds). The last one I shot I actually held the pin on the chest for about 15 seconds before shooting. That 15 seconds was AWESOME!!!! Force yourself to hold for a while - it's the best feeling in the world being at full draw and KNOWING YOU GOT HIM before you even shoot. Savor that moment - it doesn't get any better than this!
Old 11-17-2006, 11:12 PM

Keep in mind you are working in a compressed time frame. What I mean simply is 1 minute seems like 10 seconds. 2 minutes seems like 15 seconds...You actually have MUCH longer than it seems like. From start to finish involves more time than you realize. If you are like me, I always think "Hurry, you have to shoot quickly before the deer busts you and gets away!!" I HATE when deer "get away."

There are many ways to combat this syndrome, but experience is the best. Keep missing and you'll grow tired of it and eventually will FORCE yourself to relax. Close your eyes. Yes, close your eyes. Relax. Breathe deeply, in the nose, out the mouth....for a cycle of 5....which is roughly 20 seconds......It will seem like an ETERNITY, but remember the compressed time frame we spoke of.

Confidence is also high on the list. You must be confident, almost to the point of being arrogant, that you are NOT GOING TO MISS. Know it, know it in your heart that you are gonna center punch that rascal.

Lastly, even though you must be cocky and arrogant, don't put too much pressure on yourself. The more pressure you lay on yourself the more likely you are to miss.

OK, one more lastly......Don't shoot every deer that walks past. Let a few pass, and watch them. Even draw on them, but DON'T shoot....What you are doing is "tricking" yourself and telling your brain that YOU are in control of the shot, not your brain. The more deer you let walk the more calm you will be when you do shoot.

Oh, and don't forget to have fun. That's why we do it anyway.
Old 11-18-2006, 01:18 AM

What works for me is to be very intentional in everything that I do. This is hard to practice when you are in the 'moment of truth' but the more you do it and force yourself to, it will become second nature...Don't become discouraged, everyone goes through this.

Regards,

BWjohnny

Quick Reply: Rushing the shot !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.