Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Lesson Learned the Hard Way:  Compass >

Lesson Learned the Hard Way: Compass

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Lesson Learned the Hard Way: Compass

Old 11-17-2006, 10:24 AM

Default RE: Lesson Learned the Hard Way: Compass

ORIGINAL: Wheatley

Actualy some GPS have built in compasses. So some are and some are not. Like I said you have to be moving for some of them to work right. I am not familiar with the magellan's enough to coment on them. I used to work for Garmin though so I know alot about them.
It doesn't matter.A GPS is pretty much useless without a compass. With a compass, today's GPS units are gold. You can walk from pointA to point B and all points in between with a compass and be right on the money. Without, a compass it's just a guess.

Actually, if I could only carry one item and had to pick between a GPS and a compass, I'dtake the compass. It never fails.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:30 AM

Will a GPS unit function in a very heavy fog?
Old 11-17-2006, 10:33 AM

Just so I'm up to speed. Are the compasses on these new GPS units electronic? I would be concerned about that for more than one reason. Reliability? Accuracy? If it is electronic and the batteries die,you no longer have any means ofnavigation from there on out.

For a little background, I've been navigating in the woods with GPS and compass since GPS came on the market years ago. I wouldn't carry one without a hand held compass. Even if the GPS fails, you can still get out that way.

Interesting thread.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

A GPS is an electronic device that works by "talking" with other electronic devices way up in the air. It can and will fail eventually. If you internal compass needed to be synched the GPS can easily get VERY confused, it KNOWS what direction your going because it is updating your position with respect to satellites, however this contradicts what the internal compass is saying. Poof, dualing information.

Heading into the woods without a compass is foolish, sorry to say it, but it is. Even better, two compasses. They are simple devices, that rarely fail. GPS is basically a little computer, the firmware could have bugs, batteries die, compass needs synch, satellites can't be found etc etc etc.

Old 11-17-2006, 11:02 AM

thanks for this post... I was lost badly in the catskills a few years ago. swore I would never go back without a GPS but I did.... and got lost again....... LOL... it's not so bad.. the coyotes and bears really won't bother you in the dark as long as you sit still and don't make noise
Old 11-17-2006, 11:11 AM
Spike

A compass is a mans best friend, along with a quality map should be carried at all times.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimimac

A GPS isn't a compass. It has no idea whichdirection you are facing. The only effective way to use one is in conjunction with a compass. Your experience is very common mistake.

Very well put! I try telling poeple this all the time.
Old 11-17-2006, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Believe me. Lesson learned. If I wasn't dragging a deer around I'm still have a reason to keep trying. I won't ever go anwhere without verifying general direction and heading with a compass and making sure the GPS unit agrees. Wasn't fun.

As for bears and yotes they don't worry me at all. It is the cold that I worry about.

Tom