Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 nice end to frustrating season - WARNING BLOODY PICTURES AHEAD! >

nice end to frustrating season - WARNING BLOODY PICTURES AHEAD!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

nice end to frustrating season - WARNING BLOODY PICTURES AHEAD!

Old 11-16-2006, 08:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default nice end to frustrating season - WARNING BLOODY PICTURES AHEAD!

Had a frustrating year, lost access to 4 properties and was basically reduced to hunting behind my house. Usually spotty hunting, but neighbors down the street have been wiping out the deer herd, and this is a small suburban area. So it was worse than ever. Kept a hunting log, I hunted 10 days, roughly 2 hour blocks each time, and saw a grand total of 1 deer, and that was on day 2. But there is decent buck sign in my area, so I was hoping with the rut kicking in would see daytime action. Anyway, dragged myself out there on day 11, and saw 2 bucks. It wasn't even light yet when buck #1 walked by me, and I'm still climbing my stand. In fact I had just put my velcro release on. You know, the kind you have to undo (RRRIIIIIIPPPP), because the damn thing sticks to your jacket or something. That deer had to have heard me, but he was safe as it was still dark. It was light enough for me to see the horns, but not sure if I could have shot if I was ready. I remember looking at my watch 5 minutes later and thinking it was still too dark to shoot. Still not sure to this day. Anyway, buck #2 comes walking by at 7:20am. (shot him on Oct 30th, late post...). Was sitting there quietly wondering if I was going to have to wait another friggin 10 days to see another deer, when I see a shadow behind me in the early rising sun, and hear footsteps. As there are a gazillion squirrels in the area, and I hadn't seen many deer, did not get all that excited. But, I sat very still, just in case. Didn't really feel like craning my neck to look, and spooking him. Also due to my stand setup, I knew if it was a deer, it was very likely that it would walk right by me. A few minutes go by and he starts walking again, and I can see he is going to walk in bow range. I knew from my shooting zones that I had to have my bow up and ready to draw by x location, which I managed to do in the nick of time, and drew back. He stepped into my shooting lane, and wonder of all wonders actually stopped, with a quartering away shot. I took that extra half second to zero in on a hair and shot. I hear CRACK THUMP very quickly. The deer takes off running, tail down. However, I distinctly remember seeing the arrow go right where I was aiming. (I have new arrows this year with white primary vane fletching). I can hear the deer go crashing through the trees like a semi truck, and then silence. Not sure if he ran away or what. Was worried about the CRACK noise - did I hit a twig? WTF? Very carefully looked at my point of impact while up in the tree - only 1 twig in the area, and I definitely didn't hit that. Distance of shot was probably about 12 yards I would say. Can't see deer with binocs while I wait the infamous longest 30 minutes of all time. Can't see blood at point of impact. But I still remember seeing that arrow fly true, and the deer never knew I was there. Get down from stand very quietly, go home for 1/2 hour just in case. It's a suburban area, so the last thing I want to have happen is have a deer with an arrow running around people's lawns bleeding all over their patio furniture. Not really but you get the idea.
Here is a blood trail picture. At this point I realize I will very quickly have meat in the freezer:

Hopefully these pictures come out. Notice blood spray along tree and up tree. My arrow actually broke, and fell out here. The yellow stick you see is a tracking stick that I use (several of them with reflective tape).
Here is how I found him:

I absolutely hammered him. He was down on the ground in 10 seconds, ran about 60 yards or so.
Here is the shot:

This actually looks like a bad shot. Remember though that I shot him quartering away.I broke the rib right in half on entry, I believe that is what the CRACK noise I heard at the shot. Here is a pic from that quartering away perspective:

And lastly, check out both broadhead marks:

That would be his lungs.
Last pic of MUZZY Power!

That would be an aluminum arrow, with muzzy 100 grain broadhead. It did not pass through, but ended up close to the skin ahead of his shoulder somewhat. Took me awhile to field dress that part until I got the broadhead out. I ended up cutting his windpipe with the arrow, and most likely the aorta with all that blood.

Here is the best part: My bow is set at 50 lbs.

For all you younger guys, should be ample proof that you don't need to be a macho man and pull back 70 lbs.

-c_str
Old 11-16-2006, 09:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: nice end to frustrating season - WARNING BLOODY PICTURES AHEAD!

Congrats !

You need to change the "IMG" to lowercase - like "img", for Huntingnet to show the pics though.

FH
Old 11-16-2006, 09:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats better - and a WHOLE Lot bloodier -

Thanks for posting! -

FH
Old 11-16-2006, 09:31 PM

Now that's what I'm talking about!

Congrats, nice shot!
Old 11-16-2006, 10:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on the deer!

Nice shot, and great pics.
It's good for newer hunters to know what to expect when they nail one well.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Man what a blood trail!

And a big bodied deer too! Congrats.
Old 11-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Typical Buck

congrats nice pics
Old 11-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats and good story and pics. I like how you did the quartering away pic. It made it really clear how your hunt worked out.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:17 AM

Nice job!
Old 11-17-2006, 06:22 AM

Thanks for the story and the pictures!

Congratulations on the deer.

Quick Reply: nice end to frustrating season - WARNING BLOODY PICTURES AHEAD!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.