Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Asking for land... >

Asking for land...

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Asking for land...

Old 11-15-2006, 07:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Asking for land...

Hey everyone hows it going, I was out driving around the other day and came along a few places that I would like to hunt but the problem is that I don't own the land and am not exactly sure who owns these portions of land. I know that there are deer in these woods and know that I could probably harvest some nice deer. Well my question to you is how should I go about getting permission to hunt on their land, I feel wierd just driving up and being like, Hey can I hunt your land, plus I don't want to be rude by bothering them. What should I do!
Old 11-15-2006, 08:35 AM

Default RE: Asking for land...

im in the same situation right now, due to a demanding work schedule, i find it hard to go to my lease land which is two hours away. ive had some success finding a few places to bowhunt close to home. first talk to everyone you know who has any connection to hunters or landowners (your local conservation officer is a great friend to have! he knows every landowner who has wildlife on their property and how they use their property). Next make sure that everyone you speak to understands that you are interested in bowhunting only (people are wary of gun hunters that they barely know putting a bullet through their kitchen window). also make sure that people know you are not some yahoo thats going to litter, tresspass on neighboring properties, or kill every animal on the property. if you speak to 10 people you know youll probably score a piece of land.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:36 AM
Dominant Buck

First , find out who owns the land , the plat maps at the local courthouse can identify the owner . Second , don't be shy , walk up to their door neatly dressed(not in hunting clothing) and introduce yourself and tell them what you want . The worst they can say is no , and if they do thank them and go to the next landowner . "No Trespassing" signs usually mean what they say , respect them .

One way to quickly canvass an area for prospective landowners is to put your name and number on bulletin boards at local grocery stores advertising your services for "pest deer removal" , farmers normally have more than enough volunteers for this , but you may get lucky . Good luck .
Old 11-15-2006, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

There's a book by Mark Brooks 'year round monster whitetails'.....that explains exactly how to do this. You have to follow it TO THE LETTER.....but I haven't been turned down, yet. I'll see if I can help....and you all can thank Mark, later.

Get a GIS or aerial photograph of the land you want to hunt. Take the aerial phtograph/topo with you when you go to seek permission and have it in your hand. It shows you're serious about what you're doing. ALWAYS go on a warm, sunny day....when people are feeling bright and cheery about the weather. Always go in an American made vehicle......preferably a truck. NEVER wear ANYTHING camouflage.....andnever go to the front door. Friends and neighborsgo to the side or rear door. If you wear a hat.....make it have a logo from something American and farm related (say..John Deere). Always ask if someone else is hunting there. If they are.....decline. I'll promise you this is VERY true. Heed his words. Next.....you're probably going to get better results if you are strictly bowhunting. It just stands to reason. I'd have access to NO land I currently hunt on if I were a gun hunter. Always thank them....even if you or they decline......and ask them if they know of other neighbors with land that you might hunt. Drop names if you have to. I hunt on neighbors properties that adjoin one another....and I mentioned each neighbor that had given me permission. I even have access to a spot on one person's land THROUGH a lady's yard that I KNEW wouldn't allow me to hunt. I can get to this spot trhough her property, better, though. She even asked for some venison....which I WILL give her.

Wear clean clothes....and go in a clean vehicle. It lets people know you're a good steward of your belongings....and that you'll be a good steward of their property.

I've done this method 3 times since I got the book. It worked 3 times on neighbors everyone told me would NOT let me hunt. I've met some nice people, too. I shot my '06 Piebald the first time I hunted one of these properties.

If you look at this and snicker.....rememebr I've seen 153 deer in 26 sittings.....and had 86 of them in bow range. I owe a lot of this to Mr. Brooks' method.

Jeff
Old 11-15-2006, 08:49 AM
Dominant Buck

And another thing......

For God's sakes don't go looking for land to hunt on the week before or during the middle of deer season. Show a LITTLE forethought and planning.

Jeff
Old 11-15-2006, 08:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Mark Brooks
SBG it is Joe Brooks, and when I have breakfast with him on Thusday I will tell him you said thanks!!
Old 11-15-2006, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

plat map is a necessity. don't skip this step. it might turn out that the person you though owned it only owns 5 acres. a lot of old farms have now sold off their land and only own a few acres. you might even find some public land that you didn't know about. this is the ONLY place to find public land!

good luck on asking permission. I have a lifetime batting average of .000 on 'cold calls'.

Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

OK...I was going off memory.....but that 'system' of his is golden.

Tell him I said "hi". He wrote that book for me (it would seem). I have "break lines" that he describes TO A "t" in his book. I've incorporated a lot of what he wrote of in my new, YEAR ROUND approach.

Jeff
Old 11-15-2006, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I've done this method 3 times since I got the book. It worked 3 times on neighbors everyone told me would NOT let me hunt. I've met some nice people, too.
That's it in a nut shell. The focus should be on meeting people, not getting permission to hunt.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:13 AM

I've heard bringing your wife or girlfriend along with you when asking permission helps a lot

Quick Reply: Asking for land...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.