HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Indiana? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/165511-indiana.html)

MossyOak722 11-16-2006 03:37 PM

Indiana?

I am from Indiana and wasn't sure if any of ya'll hunted here or have before? I think Indiana is extremely underrated for the quality and amount of deer we have...anyone agree?

Cougar Mag 11-16-2006 04:07 PM

RE: Indiana?

Since Indiana went to a one buck limit I imagine they are vastly underated. I should be hunting my family's farm but don't.

ckiel24 11-16-2006 04:14 PM

Indiana is a great place to hunt! Overall we have some great quality deer! I just wish some of the older deer would come to the property I hunt! :DIm to the point where I just need to fill my freezer.

dukemichaels 11-16-2006 04:37 PM

I do agree! I'm just a 2 hour drive from you hoosiers and I know you got some big deer. But all you Indianians do is shoot hoops and watch the Indy cars race.:D

gri22ly 11-16-2006 04:44 PM

;)Hush hush being under rated is a good thing,I live here in Ky. we fly under the radar ranked a silent #4. No big outfitter's with big money hyping everything up. Ever noticedhow someone in your small town can kill a deer that score's 220-230 and nothing's ever said about it then someone can kill a 180-190 class in a neighboring state and it's on the cover of half the magazines in the rack.;)

hollywoodvx 11-16-2006 04:46 PM

I live and hunt in Indiana and we do have some great bucks here. Alot of deer period. In southern Indiana you are allowed up to 8 does per county if that tells you how many we have. At last count if you wanted to buy all the doe tags and had aplace to hunt in every county you could kill over 300 does in the state but only one buck or antlered deer. Thats alot of deer. But yes Indiana is underrated and just wait a few more years and you will start seeing more of those giant 18 pointers, just like the one posted on here the other day.

monster10rackstack 11-16-2006 05:10 PM

yea we have some great deer but its nice to keep it a secret to I like the can in the number of does aloud i have a lifetime license so i don't have to worry about the cost of tags

kshafer 11-16-2006 05:15 PM

i agree also. ive hunted in indiana since i got started, a whoppin 6 years! where are you guys at? im in NE round ft wayne. seen some great bucks and shot one doe.

kshafer 11-16-2006 05:16 PM

oh ya mossyoak722....forgot to add this......BOILER UP!! were bowl bound! lets just hope they hang on for these last 2!

monster10rackstack 11-16-2006 05:32 PM

i live in by Angolaby Steuben county hunt there my grandparents farm in DeKalb, some land in Noble I'm in college at Manchester and have someground around here i ve gotten 4 this year

MossyOak722 11-16-2006 05:41 PM

I live in central indiana and hunt howard, pulaski, and tippy county. soo many deer. glad to see people agree with me! i also hold a lifetime license and its nice not having to worry about the price of tags. I've arrowed two does this year...Passed up a lot of deer waiting on a wall hanger!!

bnzartman 11-17-2006 09:19 AM

I agree Indiana is underrated. I believe we have just as big of bucks as the surrounding states, but just not as many. Indiana is getting better every year. Thankfully the OBR is going to stay and also more people are starting to do more QDM.

I'm a 3rd shift Police Officer, so I'm fortunate enough to be able to spotlight a lot. You'd be amazed at the number of big bucks that come out at night.

Monie 11-17-2006 09:24 AM

Shhhh....don't you know it's a secret?? If everyone comes here to hunt, we'll lose our hunting areas to make room for non-residents who leased the properties out from under us! :)

Everyone disregard Indiana. No big deer here...just littel bitsy scrawney deer.

Buck Huntin Girl 11-17-2006 09:27 AM

Kschafer, I am also in the Ft.Wayne area. I just moved from NE Ft.Wayne this past summer and I now live in New Haven.

bnzartman, I see you are in Warsaw, we used to have a lake house on Chapman Lake, is it still considered the 3rd cleanest lake in Indiana? I loved that lake!

Mossyoak722, we are definitely underrated, but that isn't a bad thing. I'd much rather fly under the radar without the notoriaty. When you start being put on a pedestol, everyone and their brother comes from out of state and before you know it, our already crowded public hunting land becomes so packed that it's a worthless attemptto even hunt it. In Northern Indiana, there isn't much public land for the pickin' so keeping it a secret is a wonderful plan. When you get down south, there's a lot more land to accomodate a lot more hunters, but up here it's a completely different story. I'm fortunate enough to have private land to hunt, and we do hold some big bucks out there, but when you are hunting a land you've obtained permission for, there's just no telling HOW LONG you will be able to hunt it. Any variety of circumstances could change your luck dramatically.

So, don't be goin' around tellin' our little secrets... ;)[8D]

Primitive Weapon 11-17-2006 09:53 AM

ORIGINAL: dukemichaels

I do agree! I'm just a 2 hour drive from you hoosiers and I know you got some big deer. But all you Indianians do is shoot hoops and watch the Indy cars race.:D
Now that is not a fair comment.....you left out watching Nascar, the Colts, Pacers, Fever, and Ice play.....etc. :D

portable ladder 11-17-2006 10:02 AM

I love being a Hoosier.

Buck Huntin Girl 11-17-2006 10:02 AM

Now that is not a fair comment.....you left out watching Nascar, the Colts, Pacers, Fever, and Ice play.....etc. :D
Don't you mean the Freedom, Komets, and Wizards? ;)[8D][&:] GO KOMETS!!!

trophy hunter 11-17-2006 10:30 AM

we got some nice deer too bad there allll does...:eek:

MossyOak722 11-17-2006 11:17 PM

but remember...come rut...them does bring bucks by....

AR 34 eight point 11-18-2006 02:36 AM

Would love to, are you inviting us to come hunt??

MossyOak722 11-18-2006 11:28 PM

AR, from the looks of your picture there you can stick to hunting your woods!!! haha

Rickmur 11-19-2006 04:14 AM

Indiana doesn't have anything on Mdas far as big deer and being a sleeperplus we can shoot as many does as you want and don't have to buy tags. You mean for each doe you shoot out there you have to buy a tag? We do have to buy a 2nd buck tag though and you can take 2 bucks in every season every weapon.