Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 There goes my chance at a brute!! >

There goes my chance at a brute!!

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

There goes my chance at a brute!!

Old 11-15-2006, 10:55 AM

Default RE: There goes my chance at a brute!!

Sounds like a great hunt. I don't mean to relish on you being busted, but to stare down a buck, of that size, through you peep sight is something special. Good job on your scouting, stand placement,diligence BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY YOUR DISCIPLINE ON HOLDING OUT FOR A GOOD, CLEAN SHOT. This will only add to your story when youDOget him.

Regards,

BWjohnny
Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's a rough game out there from the wear and tear on your body to the strain put onyou mentally. If killing big bucks was easy everyone would be doing it, you will have off years. You can't win them all [8D]

A no kill year just means those boys are going to be one year older and one year bigger
Old 11-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wanted to chime in and commend you for not taking the risky shot. I was in EXACTLY the same situation 2 years ago with a 140 class bruiser that I rattled in. I did everything in my power to hold full draw while he stood quartering towards me. He made scrapes and rubbed a tree, but offered no shot. I didn't take the shot either . . . never saw him again either.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:18 AM
Site Buck Guru

Man, that was close! At least you didn't blow your opportunity like I did! I spent two weeks trying for an opportunity at one of three bucks in my area and when I got one at # 2 in the area, I tried to voice grunt him to a stop and missed him! Crap! I won't do that again. I'm going out right now to put up a new stand where maybe I'll get another chance. Don't give up.
Old 11-15-2006, 11:19 AM
Typical Buck

I had nearly the same situation happen to me yesterday evening. Big Buck, 130", coming right down my path, he gets to ten yards behind some trees, I draw my bow, he hears me, looks at me, I settle my pin on his vitals, just about to release and gone, he bolts. didn't make a sound, just trotted quickly to the next ridge. highest of highs to the lowest of lows in deer hunting. I'm glad I didn't rush my shot and you should be glad you didn't take a marginal shot at yours, here's to good luck the rest of the season for the both of us!
Old 11-15-2006, 11:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks for the comments and words of encouragement everyone. I still can't believe he didnt' keep heading down the trail and give me a shot. Every single deer I've seen from that stand does the exact same thing except for this dude![:@] There's no way he saw or smelled me. Just wasnt' the time for it to happen I suppose.
Having time to rethink it, the worst part was when I was straining to stay at full draw and I knew even if he turned dead broadside I wouldn't be able to shoot, I was shaking so bad and tiredI could never steady the bow. Having to let off the bow knowing the gig was up really sucked. Oh well........ back at it in an hour
Old 11-15-2006, 11:29 AM
Fork Horn

Your story describes WHY I bowhunt to a tee. I think this is a great bowhunting story that matched you against the deer and his senses on his grounds, he won this time, but hopefully you'll get to play again. I am sure you could have pulled the trigger on a gun and he would have dropped right there, but you still would have wished you would have shot him with your bow, atleast I would.

I know it stinks that you didn't get the shot, but man you got a good thrill!!

good job on not taking a marginal shot, I know it must have been tough.

Chris
Old 11-15-2006, 11:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Doh!!! I hate it when that happens. Sometimes it seems like the whole encounter just goesyour way, and other times its seems like you just cant get a break for whatever reason, wind, does, noise, you move and get nailed, or whetever. At least you still have 2 days left, get out there and give it the old "hail mary"!!