Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How many use tether lines while climbing? >

How many use tether lines while climbing?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes - Always.
37.93%
Sometimes.
13.79%
Never.
48.28%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

How many use tether lines while climbing?

Old 11-14-2006, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How many use tether lines while climbing?

When climbing into fixed position stands, do you you guys honestly tie to the tree while climbing? I always connect my harness to the tree once I'm sitting in the stand, but while climbing and descendingI'm not attached.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:01 PM

Default RE: How many use tether lines while climbing?

Never while I'm climbing.

Old 11-14-2006, 11:11 PM

I dont while using a fixed stand or climber until i get in the stand.
Old 11-15-2006, 02:51 AM

Howdy! folks just thought I'd throw a little caution to the wind here. I believe everyone climbing in and out of a stand should be tied off. I too used to never tie off until got in my stand; but two years ago something happend that drastically changed my friend and mines habits. I was climbing into my stand one evening when a foot pegg dislogged and I slipped and feel almost 20 feet face first on the ground. I broke not only my pride,but also my collar bone and cracked a coupe of ribs. My friend mentioned above was coming down in a climber one morning when his lower half of his stand feel and broke the line connecting his upper and lower part of his climber if he had not been tied off he would have surely fell and been seriously injured.

So folks next time you think about climbing in and out of your stand rember and take heed this tale of two weary hunters.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:17 AM
Typical Buck

Heres a post I made a few weeks back, this is how I do it.Pic included

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1769137&mpage=1&key=&#176967 6
Old 11-15-2006, 05:43 AM

I do now! On 9/22 as I stood on my stand in the act of reaching around the tree to attach my safety belt I fell. I had not set the stand correctly.
I had been using the same stand for the last 5 seasons and never before had it so much as shift when first standing on it. I carry the stand in and out to prevent its theft, something that unfortunately happened to me on more than one occasion. I was lucky that I only ended up with a fractured foot and a severely sprained ankle after falling 18 feet. This past Saturday I got back on the horse. With the addition of a fall guy 20' tether. Even with that there were some very anxious moments when I first stepped on that stand. I have never been one who thought that it couldn't happen to me. I have always taken my time and tried to be as safe as possible, but being human I made an error. After setting the same stand ,which is inspected and maintained and is as good as the day it left the factory, hundreds of times it happened. Out of all of this I have promised myself and my family two things. 1. I will never climb without being attached to the tree in some manner. 2. I will never step onto a stand with only one strap, or chain holding to the tree.

Be safe out there and good hunting.
Old 11-15-2006, 05:56 AM

I started to use a prussic system this year and I have it in all my stands.
Be safe.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:07 AM

I ussually, actually never have, tied off while climbing. After talking to a friend, who does, I've decided that from now on I will. It only takes a few extra seconds so I'll start doing it.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

i mostly use a climber but i tie off to the tree on the way up and on the way down
Old 11-15-2006, 06:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Not at first but when I get to a certian height then I'll hook my lineyard to the tree to be safe.
Years ago when I first got in to bow hunting I climb up to my stand without hooking up and took a twenty foot fall hitting every branch on the way down.
My whole entire left side from my ankle to my shoulder was hurting , I thought I had fractured a rib cause I couldn't hardly breath.
Even though there was bones broken my friend still had to help me out of the woods , lession learned always use your safty harness.

Quick Reply: How many use tether lines while climbing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.