Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Bucks aren't responding? (Illiinois) >

Bucks aren't responding? (Illiinois)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bucks aren't responding? (Illiinois)

Old 11-14-2006, 05:18 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bucks aren't responding? (Illiinois)

Hello All,

I was out today @ 2:00pm (drizzle). I saw a buck at 2:50pm he was about 150 yrds out I grunted and he just went back into the timber. At 4:00pm seen a big doe and 4 little ones with her, 80 yrds. I bleated and they stopped and looked at my renzo doe decoy and just kept going (were'nt spooked) she kept looking back down the field.About 20 minutes lateradecent buck was following her trail. He got even with the decoy and I bleated (90 yrds). The Buck looked over and saw the decoy and went back the other way. I got to looking down the middle of field and saw him walk around an even bigger buck. I did a estrus bleat and the bigger buck was walking up the middle of field. Then I grunted a few times and still coming straight up field (120 yrds) he stopped Igrunted again and he angled his way toward the other timber across from me. Why are the bucks not responding buck grunts/bleats.I was using the small (plastic) primos grunt. Would they respond better to a true talker? Do they already have does picked out? Maybe a buck decoy? Would rattling a little work better?

Just saw three bucks tonight and couldn't get any to respond.
I hunt a heavy fence row over looking corn field and is hooked to a 10 acre timber full of acorns. About 110-120yrds across field is the timber they like to travel. It goes for miles. But when walking in middle of field I would think they would still responded.They really didn't even get down far enough to wind me.

Any help would greatly be appreciated! Any better tips for bring them in close! Thanks
Old 11-14-2006, 05:43 PM

Default RE: Bucks aren't responding? (Illiinois)

I've had this same problem with the older bucks. I have had some success this year grunting in a few smaller bucks. As a matter of fact I grunted a small eight pointer this morning, but I decided to let him go since he had a beautiful rack albeit small and was only a yearling. Another year and he'll be a nice buck, two or three years and he could be huge. If your hunting an area with a lot of other hunters close by then odds are the older bucks have caught on to the calling. I suggest using the growl call. It's a new call that we've just now caught on to. It's also the only call I've used this year that has brought in a nice buck, just not close enough.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know why they didn't respond. I have 2 theories.

1. My buddies who regularly hunt Illinois say the rut is very intense and very short compared to Michigan. They say that when it's on, it's unbelievable but when itstops, it stops cold. Maybe the bucks are already locked up on hot does. If that's the case, you'll never call a buck away from a hot doe - even with the buck growl LOL!

2. You've had success calling in the smaller bucks but not the bigger bucks. Those big bucks got that way by being a little smarter. If they came in to check out every bleat and grunt they've heard they'd be on somebody's wall already.

Old 11-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Typical Buck

Thanks guys for the replies. I May go check out the buck growl. Does anyone have a link to how it's suppose to sound.

Thanks again!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:28 AM
Fork Horn

i think you get a dvd with it that shows you how it sounds when you buy one,i bought the roar, and have called in at least 10-12 bucks(small) in the last week. good luck.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

The problem is guys are grunting to little bucks they have no intent on killing, just to see how they react or just to see if they can call a deer over. All they're doing is educating them at an early age.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:02 AM

I think they are locked down with does. The big boys have sorta dissapeared in the last few days
Old 11-15-2006, 11:21 AM

i think that due to now there are more hunters than ever ...and all
of them have a grunt call or beat with them and blow it at every
buck or doe that comes by ..the deer are getting more educated on thats why the new growl call seems to be working more than the grunt ...just my opion for what its worth
Old 11-15-2006, 11:45 AM

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

I don't know why they didn't respond. I have 2 theories.

1. My buddies who regularly hunt Illinois say the rut is very intense and very short compared to Michigan. They say that when it's on, it's unbelievable but when itstops, it stops cold. Maybe the bucks are already locked up on hot does. If that's the case, you'll never call a buck away from a hot doe - even with the buck growl LOL!

2. You've had success calling in the smaller bucks but not the bigger bucks. Those big bucks got that way by being a little smarter. If they came in to check out every bleat and grunt they've heard they'd be on somebody's wall already.
Agreed on both points. Point #1, when they start tending, they will be out of sight for the duration.

Point #2 is also compunded if you are on public land. Everyone and their uncle fred is out there beating and grunting. The deer have figured that out.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Typical Buck

I did get the buck growl today w/ the dvd. Going to check it out to night. Tomorrow last day before shot gun!

I did grunt in a small buck this afternoon in the rain. He was following 2 does and 3 fawns. I grunted at him and he turned and headed my way. He stopped out about 35 yrds and started feeding. It was a small 4 pointer with one side gone. I was thinking of taking him being this close to shot gun. Then I hit the li'l can bleat. His head popped up and he was gone in a flash. Should of stayed with the grunt, he was afraid of that doe bleat.

Maybe try the buck growl tomorrow. Suppose to be 1 inch of slushy crap tonight though! Wind and rain hasn't stopped me yet. Watch the dvd and see when to use it.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Bucks aren't responding? (Illiinois)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.