Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Missed a Coyote Tonight >

Missed a Coyote Tonight

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Missed a Coyote Tonight

Old 11-15-2006, 05:59 PM

Default Missed a Coyote Tonight

Didn't see too much action tonight, but I did get a shot off. One of those furry little critters. Had a real nice pelt too, almoststrawberry blonde colored, it seemed. Shot right over him by half a foot. Guess I thought he was at 30 and not 25, but he was downhill too. Hard to judge asmall object like that. Funny thing was, I think I wanted that harvest more than I've ever wanted a deer...ya know? Wouldabeen cool for the first kill with my new Bowtech to be a coyote. Oh well, maybe next time...though I don't think bowhunters get too many chances at those coyotes.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Missed a Coyote Tonight

The famed "moving loaves of bread" are a hard shot to make at any distance. Not a big area to nail.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:30 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah they are smart little buggers....especially with a bow
Old 11-15-2006, 08:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

I actually missed one a few days ago. He was moving quick and made it tough to judge. I saw 6 in all but only one close enough around 30 yards. It was my first time ever seeing coyotes on a stand. Hear them often though at dusk when getting out of my tree.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Spike

Got a shot off myself last weekend. I've seen the same little bugger three weeks in a row blow through the same bedding area spooking all the deer at around the same time every morning. This time i knew the does weren't around and he hit the old mineral lick and stopped long enough for me to draw a bead on him. It was my first time dumping the string on anything other than the target and man, was that different! He jumped up, did a 180 and took off the way he'd come at a full sprint. I had a good chuckle, but five minutes later that little snot snuck back in and was trying to figure out what happened. This time I thought I took a litlte more time but i shot right under his chest and he took off, kind of holding one leg up. That didn't make much sense to me at the time. I had to get the binocs to find my second arrow and I realized that the first one had deflected on some pencil thin underbrush and had gone into the ground a little more vertical. When I finally collected the arrows I put the first one in my mouth while i worked the second one carefully out of the ground. Mistake... coyotes taste nasty. Piecing things together going back, the deflection flicked the first arrow back enough where I must have nicked his back leg. Evidentnly it didn't slow him down much though b/c he just jogged off after the 2nd miss, blew through the bedding area and out into the cornfield and hit the scent trail where all the does and yearlings had been a few hours earlier and headed south the way they went. I hope he's ok, I want him to come back by for another visit this weekend. But not as much as the two bobcats I saw a few weeks ago! Furbearers opened today.