Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Broken ankle.... >

Broken ankle....

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Broken ankle....

Old 11-14-2006, 02:52 PM

Default Broken ankle....

Hey guys,
Just wanted to see if anyone else has ever shot a deer with a broken leg or ankle before? Yesterday, I planned on taking off working and sitting all day. Had 2 bucks come in early, but decided to pass on both. At 1015, I saw a buck walk by at like 50 yards and he was hobbling a bit. He walked on by and never came close enough for a shot. At around 1 pm, he came back and this time came into 30 yards. I made a perfect double lung shot and he ran 50 yards and was done. When I got up to him, his front right ankle was pretty big. It appeared as though it was broken(like snapped) and the bone grew back all out of place. There was no infection or anything and he looked completely healthy other wise. I took him because of the limp and the fact that he had a 14 inch spike for the one antler and 14 inch spike with a small 3 inch point for the other. Def not the genetics you want in a deer herd. Has anyone else shot a deer, just to put it?
Old 11-14-2006, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Broken ankle....

dad shot 1 this year but a twisted foot....looked like it got tangled in the fence when he was young....would take a pic and show but hes in the freezer
Old 11-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Never shot one like that, but have heard of deer beeing shot with broadheads in em...
Old 11-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

there was a fawn with my BB i shot that had a bum leg
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

His injury may have contributed to his abnormal rack. I have heard that if for examplethere is an injury to the right side then the left side of the rack may be messed up. I could be way off to. I think I read it somewhere.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Fork Horn

About 7 years ago my dad and I both killed 8pt. bucks during our muzzleloader season on the same morning. His buck was missing half of one of his rear legs, my deer had a broken front leg.I think the one was shot off.
Old 11-15-2006, 07:10 AM

For antlers....I heard if the back ones are messed up, that it affects the opposite antler.....
About 2 weeks ago I shot at a nice buck that was not putting any weight on his back right leg, his left antler was messed up and his right antler was a very heavy beam with 4-5 points on it....
Old 11-15-2006, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I killed a doe early in October that had something like that. Just above the hoof, the leg was about twice normal size. Whatever had happened was totally healed. I believe the injury was in the first joint up, probably when the deer was young and it seemed to be healed solid. It was hard as a rock. I didn't notice the doe limping any at all.