Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Buck fever on a 4-point >

Buck fever on a 4-point

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buck fever on a 4-point

Old 11-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Spike

Default Buck fever on a 4-point

Well I went out this morning, first time out in a week, and just 30 min. after I got there I grunted and had two different bucks grunting back. I saw a small buck to my left and he had a doe with him. The buck never came in but the doe did. Only to stop 4 feet from my shooting lane and walk away taking the small 4 point with her. After 30 more min. I hit the can and here he came a very big body 4-point, Different than the other, with a big rack for a 4 pointer. He is the biggest buck I have seen all year including a 6 that I saw. He was trying to find out what way to go when he reached the bottom of the hill. He was coming right at me. I am at full draw and he is about 35 yards and closing. Well he stop and turned broadside and I new that was most likely my shot.The shotwas about 30 yards with nothing in the way. But I was shaking like a leaf, with the fever for my first deer with a bow and first buck in 10 years that I yanked the shot andI watched the arrow land between his legs!! Man I am sick!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buck fever on a 4-point

that stinks man, i know the feeling...

Just remeber, focus on the shot location, remember that you're the predator and switch into kill mode.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

It happens. I would definately try to harvest a doe to help build your confidence. The more confident you are shooting a deer the better off you will be when that buck comes in.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:20 PM
Dominant Buck

What I've tried to start doing is.......(and this is where my field glasses help).....decide EARLY ON if it's an animal I want to take. The earlier I decide......the more calm I am.

Admittedly....I'm a beginner......but I've enjoyed some success, this year.

Jeff
Old 11-14-2006, 02:39 PM
Spike

I have been hunting for 11 years but I never see alot of deer. I have a new spot the past few years and have seen deer. But this year I started bowhunting and I have seen more deer this year than I ever have. I get this way on does but I think the more I see deer and get used to them I will calm down. I don't trophy hunt yet because I have only harvested 4 deer in 11 years so I will shot any deer other than a real small one, so I knew I was going to take him as soon as I seen him but I think I will get better the more I see deer and expirence what they do inthe woods.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:10 PM

it takes patience....normally the first deer of the year (buck or doe) I am shaky....after that, it is all mechanics.....if you shoot your bow all summer, you get into a routine....this makes it a lot easier to calm yourself and shoot.....plus it sounded like you were holding for a bit which doesn't help either
Old 11-14-2006, 03:12 PM
Spike

It doesn't seem to matter what I do I always get nerves before the shot. It doesn't matter if it is a doe or a buck. I just deal with it and if I would ever lose that feeling I would have to give up hunting. I have missed plenty because i was nerves!
Old 11-14-2006, 03:22 PM

I have been hunting for 16 years. I have shot everything with my bow from a doe to a 360 pound black bear and I still get buck fever if I see a decent shooter buck. It's part of the game and excitement of seeing a great creature in the wild. I try to make believe it is a doe and not look at the horns. I know that is difficult but practice on spikes and smaller bucks. Just tell yourself that you are not going to shoot and later on if the opportunity presents itself see if you can get within range. Seems to work sometimes
Old 11-14-2006, 03:26 PM
Fork Horn

I've killed plenty of deer over the last 15+ years, unfortunately none with a bow... some big some small.... doe, buck, no matter.... I always shake...

The day I stop shaking is the day I stop hunting for myself and just go to be with friends and family.......

Good on ya bud, the spirit is strong within you.
Old 11-14-2006, 03:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

If they sold that feeling in a store i would have a whole closet full. Sorry about the miss, good luck next time.
Dan