Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What was your first? >

What was your first?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What was your first?

Old 11-13-2006, 02:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default What was your first?

What was your first kill with a bow, and what was your set up.

For me, the first small animal was rabbits and fish shot with a ben person 50lb recurve. It was in 1979. My first big animal was a doe with my 62lb 1978 herters recurve with bear fixed two blade broadhead. The old glue on type. I shot her in 1983. I shot a hog two weeks ago with that same bow. Here is the old girl. I refinished her last year, but she is still a shooter. I wish I had that old pearson. My brother lost it back in 1986. Im still made about it. My first compound kill was in 1986 with a black bear. The loudest bow you will ever shoot. We called it the cricket. You had to shoot def deer with it.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What was your first?

First was a 6pt 16" wide... In fall of '01
Old 11-13-2006, 02:41 PM

My first was a stingray killed off of Wildcat Point on the northern tip of Chincoteague island, VA with a 40lb Bear Black Bear Recurve when I was around the age of 12.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: PA Hardwoods

My first was a stingray killed off of Wildcat Point on the northern tip of Chincoteague island, VA with a 40lb Bear Black Bear Recurve when I was around the age of 12.
Cool, was that the black bear conversion. a warf bow I believe it is called. Where you put the recurve limbs on the old black bear riser. I hear that is a great shooting combo. I wish I had my old black bear so I could build one.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:01 PM
Typical Buck

My firstkill with a bowwasa button buck, double lung, 10yds, he ran 50yds. Shot him in 1995 was a junior in high school. Shot him with a 1993 PSE Polaris Express...still one of the best tasting deer i ever ate.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:02 PM

My very first kill was a grey squirrel, shot in the head at 30 yards w/ an old XI Legend. It was a luck shot, no doubt. Shoot, at that point in my "career" I hadn't even taken a deer w/ a bow......Hmmm....glad I've rectified that.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

1996, I had just turned 16 when I shot a small doe at 15 yards, double-lunged her and she only made it 50 yards before piling up.

If only they were all that easy!
Old 11-13-2006, 03:10 PM
Fork Horn

First was a doe last year, 35 yard spine shot, next day shot another doe as she was sniffing the gut pile! Double lung, she ran 25 yards. Then killed my first bow buck 4 weeks later. What a way to start!!! All were shot with a Bear Whitetail II bow. They were all shot in Maryland before someone gets excited about the number of doe I shot! LOL
Old 11-13-2006, 03:17 PM
Typical Buck

My first kill with a bow was a 6 point buck last year in the first 2 hrs of my second season at 30 yards with my 35# seneca.

Old 11-13-2006, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

We actually used to go into our neighbors trees/brush and cut us down a nice sized branch and make our own bows. Then we made arrows out of dowels and just sharpened the ends on the concrete. I killed a few rabbits with that setup. It was pretty fun. They only lasted about a week maybe more depending on how far you pulled them back and how long you held them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.