Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 What was your first? >

What was your first?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What was your first?

Old 11-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: What was your first?

PA Hardwoods
Have you considered refinishing it? I refinished my 1978 Herters last year and it came out great. I carefully removed the old finish with sand paper, being real careful not to get into the laminate, and resprayed it with Minwax helmans laquire. It made a world of difference. Ive hunted with that bow most of this season.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:48 AM

I shot this spike last year to be my first bowkill deer. I used my Bowtech Mightymite. Before this one I took 2 hogs in Texas. Since then i have taken 2 more deer with it.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:22 AM

My first bow kill was this year. I killed a 150 pound doe. I shot it at 20 yards with my Browning Rage One set at 60 pounds and I was using Thunderhead broadheads. I double lunged her and she went like 80 yards and died in minutes. She dropped no blood and I just went to where I last saw her.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:32 AM

Here's my first post about my first kill. Been bowhunting for 6 years and it took3 years of bowhuntingto shot a spike at 35 yards, double lung and liver (quartering away). This was also my first year of deer camp.
Old 11-14-2006, 10:39 AM

ORIGINAL: burniegoeasily

PA Hardwoods
Have you considered refinishing it? I refinished my 1978 Herters last year and it came out great. I carefully removed the old finish with sand paper, being real careful not to get into the laminate, and resprayed it with Minwax helmans laquire. It made a world of difference. Ive hunted with that bow most of this season.
Burnie the thought did cross my mind of refinishing it. It is just one of the 5 recurves I own. (Chek-Mate Hunter II, Bear Black Bear, Bear Kodiak Magnum, Locksley Puma(This was my grandfathers) and the bow that started me down the archery path, a Ben Pearson Super Jet that was my dads when he was a kid.) It will probably always be used for bowfishing. That may be a winter project this year. The one that I love to shoot is my Chek-Mate Hunter II. That is my baby! Probably followed by the Kodiak Magnum.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

A check mate is an awsome bow.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:05 PM

My first was a doe 4-5 years ago with an old Pearson Buckmaster (bushmaster) not sure on the name. I wasn't into bowhunting that much back then.

I'm in love now though. I have taken 5 deer with a bow in my hunting career so far.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:34 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: ducsauce

My first was a doe 4-5 years ago with an old Pearson Buckmaster (bushmaster) not sure on the name. I wasn't into bowhunting that much back then.

I'm in love now though. I have taken 5 deer with a bow in my hunting career so far.
I believe that would be a bushmaster. I had two back in the 80s. In the mid 80s person made a round wheel version and a double cam version. Both were decent bows for the time. I shot a few animals with a bushmaster.
Old 11-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it was '92. A five point with an old Whitetail II an older gentleman had loaned me to see if archery would interest me. I returned the bow to him after killing that deer and went and ordered my own bow. That Whitetail II was a nightmare to tune and I couldn't get it to group better than 6" but it got the job done.
Old 11-14-2006, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

My 1st year of Bowhunting I took some Rabbits (1956) & 2 years later (1958) took my 1st Deer (Doe) with a 45# Eddings Recurve & wood arrows & MA3 blade. 35 yard shot-double lung & she went 30 yards.
This is the ANNIVERSAY of my FIFTIETH year of Bowhunting.
I took a hog in Oklahoma earlier this year & this is my 1st Deer in Iowa on one of my antlerless tags (Nov. 12th) Me & my 2 youngest girls.. I have traveled many states & Canada Bowhunting & have been blessed with a great variety-Whitetail, Mule Deer, Elk, Caribou, Black Bears, Wild Hogs, Rams, & a few Exotic Deer plus a Buffalo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.