Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Will he live?

Old 11-13-2006, 02:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Will he live?

Without the blood trail, it's turned into a last ditch recovery effort, so take as many sets of eyes with you as you can.

Don't forget to check at least 100 yards (yeah, it sucks, I know)in each direction on any trail or road that is in the search area, as the deer may have changed direction suddenly and the sign may no longer be evident with the rain you've had.

Pay particular attention to the thickest brush, and don't be afraid to stomp through it to make sure it's empty.

Look all around you 360 degrees often as you go, as you may catch sight of his white belly from one angle, but not another.

Good luck.
-Bulz
Old 11-13-2006, 05:40 PM

Last Saturday, rifle opener, I had a real nice 9 pt. come in and bed about 35 yards from my stand that had been shot in front of his shoulderblade. I would have shot him but he was walking fine and everything and didn't seem I needed to shoot him to end his misery. My dad had shot a deer the night before so he came and picked me up on the 4 wheelerand spooked the deer and he ran off fine. After he spooked I went over and looked at where he had bed down and the only blood on the ground was from what had been wiped off his fur, so his wound must have healed

DeerHuntMO
Old 11-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm getting off early today to do some more tracking. It rained all morning so blood is a non-issue, but I'm going to do some grid searches with the landowner and his dogs.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you.
Any luck??