Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I've come to the conclusion that I suck. >

I've come to the conclusion that I suck.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I've come to the conclusion that I suck.

Old 11-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: I've come to the conclusion that I suck.

I hope you find comfort in the saying "even a blind squirrel will find a nut eventually"

If everytime you go out to the stand you learn something new, you havehad a successful hunt. Knowledge will make you a more consistant and confident bowhunter.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Others gave good advice. You seem to be "book smart" when it comes to hunting and have had some great experiences afield. Put that knowledge in place - step to the next level, be smarter. Deer are funny critters but have a great zest for staying alive. Out smart them. Set up an ambush (ground or stand) and play it out patiently. You'll do fine.

I started bow hunting when I was 12 and didn't get my first until I was 18. Those six years taught me a ton. It took so long to get good at hunting because I didn't have a mentor (or a freaking clue of what I was doing) - I learned on my own. Get a good hunting buddy. It helps.

Also, deer hunting can get wierd at times. Years ago I went two seasons without getting a deer. I spent tons of time afield in bow, gun, and muzzleloading seasons and couldn't bring anything together. It happens. On the other hand, some times it goes well - my son bagged his first deer this year after spending an hour in the stand - his first hour of hunting, ever.

So, don't give up, and don't give up learning more about the game you hunt.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Best thing you could do is hunt with someone who knows how to get it done and pay close attention. Short of that stop moving around, become a tree. Look closely at a tree and don't move anymore than it. Deer wait for long periods before they come into view maybe as much as 45 min. when they suspect some thing is there and your moving around makes them suspect it.Stay still. They are watching. I mean still. When you here the slightest sound it could easily be a deer looking to see who's there. They will stand stone still looking for movement. Don't give them anything to see and when they come into view pick your time when you can get the draw on them. They often notice the change so make the shot quickly and accurately. I've watched them for long periods and when they are behind something I will draw on them. When they step out it amazes me how often they will look up at me. Too late buy then. Mojo is served.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:29 PM
Typical Buck

Bj it sounds like your hunting silver springs,Chainolakes or maybe marsailes?Which public spot do you hunt?I have only hunted public land here in Illinois once,and didn't have any luck but know if I where to stick it out I'd probably have better luck.WHat part of the state do you live in?
Old 11-13-2006, 04:00 PM

ORIGINAL: ohiohunter3303

Patience is key in hunting. I started bow hunting when I was a freshmen in high school, it wasn't until my freshmen year in college was I finally able to tag a buck with my bow. The first year I saw deer all the time and tried to shoot a couple bucks but was still learning that just because I am 25 feet above ground that I need to be still and that deer could still witness me drawing back. My point is I went through alot of sh!t my first couple years hunting but instead of just letting missed shots or not seeing any deer frustrate me I went back and reviewed those hunts and learned what I did wrong and it was important for me to even look at the things I did right. Well after all that last year I tagged my first buck and he scored just under 164 inches. Stay with it and you will definitely be rewarded.
I'm with Ohiohunter,
took me MANY, MANY years of hard work, studying deer habits, trying to learn WHY they do what they do - or don't. Eventually I put it all together and learned to keep my butt still, take my time with my shot, draw at just the right time, set up my treestand at just the right time, etc. You have to break what I call the 'Bad Luck' cycle - and eventually you will. I gave up I dunno HOW many times! Success comes to those who keep at it. Perseverance IS THE key. rad all you can, practice shooting and GET OUT with your bow and shoot as much as you can. More time afield = better odds for success!

DON'T QUIT!
Old 11-13-2006, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

dude,,don't give up that easy!!!! ALOT of people don't come as close as you have.ALOT of people hunt pubic land and don't even see deer..I hunted for 3 or 4 yeeears before I got my first. It was a nice little basket rack 8 point. I have not not gotten one (w/ my bow). I have passed up a couple early in the year last two years..two years it took me to learn this lesson. I won't pass em' up early again take a nice doe THEN go hunt that buck...stick to it...and good luck
Old 11-14-2006, 11:58 AM

ORIGINAL: drstalker

Bj it sounds like your hunting silver springs,Chainolakes or maybe marsailes?Which public spot do you hunt?I have only hunted public land here in Illinois once,and didn't have any luck but know if I where to stick it out I'd probably have better luck.WHat part of the state do you live in?

Maybe we should hook up to hunt together????

I live in Mundelein, but I am hunting Heidecke Lake and sometimes Mazonia / Braidwood. THe Old Joliet Aresenal is open again as a Federal Reserve, but I have not yet checked it out.
Old 11-14-2006, 12:06 PM

Thanks again to all of those who are egging me on. I have already decided to go out next weekend (this weekend is firearm) and depending upon what the wind is doing, set up EARLY by where I tracked that last buck and wait it out. I am already expecting that no bucks will be there since they should be in the tending phase about that time. There is always next year I guess.
Old 11-14-2006, 04:32 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds good bjanakos.I found a spot near Marsailes that doesn't look like it gets much pressure.After firearms season we'll try to set something up.I used to work up in Mundelein some years ago.Lowden Miller& castle rock are good spots too.We'll have to try and set something up.
Old 11-14-2006, 07:25 PM

Man I feel the same way. I hunt my ass off and have nothing to show for it this year, then I see some "hunter" pull up in a beat up truck, jump out wearing blue jeans and a flannel shirt and pull a doe out of the bed. I asked him about scent control, and he looked puzzled, he always wore his clothes in his truck. That was his 2nd deer that season. He just looked for a good spot jumped out and ran his stand up a tree. I call it the redneck advantage, they just get out and shoot a deer. They use aluminum arrows, no limb silencers, tuned bow, whats that? Wal-Mart broadheads and don't even know what scent control is, yet they get deer. I think rednecks have doe urine in their blood.

Quick Reply: I've come to the conclusion that I suck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.