HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   What a sad, sad sight.......pics! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/164570-what-sad-sad-sight-pics.html)

Buck Magnet 11-11-2006 08:44 PM

What a sad, sad sight.......pics!

Hey guys,

This evening I decided to take the 4-wheeler for a little cruise around my property just to see if I could see any deer. As I crossed a creek and was making a hard turn I had to slam on the brakes as a buck was laying right on the trail, I slid and stopped just a few feet from him. I was amazed that he was just laying there so I shut the quad off and just watched when I noticed that his back rightleg was broken badly but it was a low break, right about the hoof (I am guessing he was hit by a car). I started the quad back up and he tried to stand up but fell down. I came home and grabbed the camera and went back. I drove right up to him again and snapped a couple pics of him and as I was leaving I watched him, he finally made it to his feet and he stumbled about 20 yards and bedded down in some golden rods that border a field. I was thinking about "putting him out of his misery", but I think that I am gonna let him go and check on him later, he doesn't look too banged up beside his one back leg and I am hoping that he can recover from it.

The sad part is that I have been watching this buck all summer and fall. He is a 1-1/2 year old 4 point that had a pretty wide rack. I have a bunch of game camera pics of him throughout the summer and fall, and I saw him pretty much every time I sat in stand this year. It was almost a given, if I was in the area he would come visit. I had him bed down beside me several times and he really helped to pass the time in stand. I am hoping he makes it, its a sad sight to see such a beautiful animal in such a sad state, especially one that has some history with you.

Here are a couple pics of him this summer and fall....

And here he is tonight, as you can see, his one antler was knocked off......

BowHuntingFool 11-11-2006 08:51 PM

RE: What a sad, sad sight.......pics!

That sucks, I hope he makes it too! I found a dead buck yesterday that had his rack stuck in a low lying branch while bedded down!

buckhunter14 11-11-2006 09:37 PM

what do you think happened?

Buck Magnet 11-11-2006 09:59 PM

I'm pretty sure he was hit by a car, possibly got his butt handed to him by a bigger buck. I had originally thought that he was hit by a car simply because of his leg, but then I got to thinking about the broken antler and if it was broke by a car I would imagine his head would have been hit and he wouldn't still be alive. I don't know for sure what happened to him but I do know that it stinks, this buck is/was one of those deer that you just loved to watch, he was always doing something to make you laugh or something that was just fun to watch. I watched him this season walk past my stand with a fun ear of corn in his mouth and the nearest corn-field was about 250 yards away, I actually laughed out loud when I saw him doing that, I wonder if he was trying to make a stock pile for the winter somewhere :D He was always making and checking the scrapes in the area and he always had a little button buck with him everywhere he went.I'm gonna give it another hour or so and go check on him one last time tonight, we have had some coyotes in the area earlier this year and that is my biggest fear, that one will find him and take advantage.

bowhuntingfanatic 11-11-2006 10:56 PM

it looks like he has/had some potiental to. he would be nice as a 3 1/2 or 4 1/2 year old. i can see him now a nice wide 10 pointer. hopefully he makes it.

carpsniper 11-11-2006 11:04 PM

From that pic, itlooks like his right front leg is broke too. (notice the way the hoof is turned out)

A broke front and back leg is bad news for deer.

:(

bowhuntingfanatic 11-11-2006 11:12 PM

it reminds me of a doe i seen it late january one season that was missing her front leg. i think it most of been shot of by a gun hunter. i did not see the deer the next fall, i thought she must have died from the harsh winter. but the following fall i had her under my stand with two fawns, it was a great thingto see that she had manged to stay alive and then to have 2 fawans. a seen her a few more times through out the year. then the following year she was harvested by a gun hunter. she was a very big doe. the hunter that shot her said she weight 200lbs field dressed. a very big doe if you ask me.

ikillsdeer 11-12-2006 12:13 AM

i think you shoulda gave him a quick death and ate him.when the coyotes find him he will suffer a horrible death. besides , and im just guessing here, but even if he survives he will always be a cripple and never a large dominant buck

Rickmur 11-12-2006 04:32 AM

Jason, if he is there in the morning or has only moved a short distance do the right thing and put him down before the yotes get him.

Buck Huntin Girl 11-12-2006 06:25 AM

I agree, I would put him down as well, and if you don't want to use a tag for it, call the game warden out, they will do it for you and most likely let you keep the meat.

I think we owe it to nature to do our part in a situation like this. After all of the great memories you havemade with this deer, wouldn't it be great to at least have something besides *this* horrid memory to remember him by? At least you would never have to wonder and guess what became of him and whether he was faring well... A deer with a broken leg or two is going to live a miserable life often times succombing to starvation if you get a bad winter storm. If he's in that much pain, I'm sure it would suite him better than going through MORE pain by being eaten alive by a hungry yote or dealing with days of hunger only to end in a miserable, prolonged death by starvation.

PABuck_HNTR 11-12-2006 07:03 AM

I agree with some of the others. Put him down before the coyotes get him.

rybohunter 11-12-2006 07:35 AM

I think keeping an eye on him is the right move for now. If its just 1 bad leg, he can live fine. If it turns out he has 2 broken legs, yea he'd be better off taken out. It's not an easy situation either way.

The boy scout 11-12-2006 07:35 AM

Hey, How bad are his back legs? What about seeing if your local vet could work on him for free to fix the legs. Maybe they could tranquilize it and maybe fix the leg and release him when he is healed.Then get him in a couple of years. Good luck.

livbucks 11-12-2006 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: The boy scout

Hey, How bad are his back legs? What about seeing if your local vet could work on him for free to fix the legs. Maybe they could tranquilize it and maybe fix the leg and release him when he is healed.Then get him in a couple of years. Good luck.
Sorry bud, can't be done. Are you gonna donate the $10,000 or so it would take to pull it off? Remember that this is a wild deer. If you got it on it's feet it would probably tear itself up again trying to get away from you. Everytime you would need to change a dressing or give it medication it would have to be tranquilized. That is a feel good suggestion, but one that is not possible. I don't think you understand the way nature functions in the real world.

hillbillyhunter1 11-12-2006 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: rybohunter

I think keeping an eye on him is the right move for now. If its just 1 bad leg, he can live fine. If it turns out he has 2 broken legs, yea he'd be better off taken out. It's not an easy situation either way.
I agree. Besides an animal that has an encounter that has caused the results shown here may often just need a day or two to get their wits about them again and learn to cope with their injury. However, you should check him as close as possible, if possible, because if it is two broken legs, he really doesn't have a chance. good luck

BWfVA 11-12-2006 11:16 AM

just me I would have proably shot him he proably will not make it if you ask me

Washington Hunter 11-12-2006 12:14 PM

Saved a deer that had it's hind leg caught in a fence on our property a couple years back. Apparently she had tried to jump over the fence and her rear leg got caught up in the squares. In her strugle to get loose, she broke her leg, about in the spot you described.

I noticed she was stuck, grabbed the bolt cutters, and cut the fence away from her foot. After the fence was cut, I pulled her leg out and set it gently to the ground. (By this time she was too worn out to freak out and run.)

She layed down in the grass around the fence.

I came back the next day and she had moved about 100 yards further along the fence.

The next weekend I came up one evening to glass the fields and noticed a doe come out that was limping, but otherwise moving along just fine.

I think just keeping an eye on him is a good idea, just as long as its only one leg thats broken. Deer are amazing animals and can live through quite a bit.

Bradkoz 11-12-2006 11:06 PM

if hes having that much trouble moving around hes probably a lot more messed up then you think. ive seen deer get there legs shot off and run around just fine actually saw one this year spotting. he was probably hit even if hit in the back he may have smashed his horn off on the road or the car doesnt mean itd kill him. id call the game commission just so you dont cause yourself anytrouble.