Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 HUNTN in the RAIN >

HUNTN in the RAIN

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

HUNTN in the RAIN

Old 11-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default HUNTN in the RAIN

Hey this might sound like a dumb question to alot of people but this is my first year actually bowhunting by myself, and yesterday i was out in the afternoon and i got there it was drizzling and then it turned to sleet then a heavy rain. What is some suggestions about hunting in the rain, should i have stayed out or just wait for the weather to get better?
Old 11-11-2006, 09:55 AM
Spike

Default RE: HUNTN in the RAIN

If you can stick it out, I have found that the deer get really active after a front passes. Now I wont tell ya that I will sit on stand for4 hours in the puoring rain waiting for the front to pass, because that doesnt sound like much fun. But a light rain, I will sit through everytime, especially a morning shower.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:55 AM

It's been my experience that light drizzles and even "light rains" won't bother the deer a bit. The full-on storms shut them down though. Then, they'll be right back to what they're doing the next morning. Or if its a morning storm it makes evening hunting very worthwile. I usually try to stay until it gets unbearable...wind is the major culprit here, I don't have any special rain gear but really don't feel I need it. For me its always about keeping the wind out. Do realize that sleet can make getting down a tree a little tricky and to keep that stuff off your equipment.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:13 AM
Spike

If it is a light to moderate rain, sit tight if you can handle it. The rain helps you from a scent standpoint.

As the other posters indicated, right after a heavy storm can be fantastic. One other thing to consider, if you feel you have the desire..

Stalking during a heavy rain/sleet/snow can work awesome. I would not get too crazy (walking all over your land), but attempting a stalk in a smaller area can work. During very heavy rain/sleet/snow, the bucks will bed down and wait it out. The senses are a little out of whack and they will have a hard time hearing you and smelling you, especially playing the wind right. I shot one buck this way after the Wisconsin rifle season. (December 2nd I think). There was a sleet storm, and at 3pm I stalked a 40 acres piece of woods. I saw him bedded (6 pointer) on the opposite side of a small ridge and was able to get within 25 yards. One grunt popped him up.

It is tough, more unsuccessfull than not, but, one way to use the weather to your advantage.

Just a thought. I would say during the rut though, do not do this. You do not want the does chasing off.

Good luck to you!
Old 11-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks alot guys the storm was a really good one last all afternoon the rain turned to sleet then turned to snow, it went on all night so i cut my losses and hung it up for the night.I was unable to go this morning however i went this afternoon but probably should have gone this morning. The storm dumped about 4 inches of snow which wasa plus, saw 3 does and saw possibly the biggest buck i have ever seen in my life. The bad thing is they were out to far for me to reach with the bow. I feel im doing everything i can, might relocate my stand on monday. thanks for the tips guys.
Old 11-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

I like hunting in light rain and have shot most my deer in it. I also like stalking or finding a big old tree to sit under where it is dryer. When sitting under a tree I like calling and have seen alot of deer pass by. A couple of deer that came in dressed over the 200 pound mark. Like others said rain will help keep your scent down and deer will move around in it just the same. Good Luck hunting.
Old 11-11-2006, 10:06 PM
Typical Buck

I agree, light rain OK, heavy rain not good but right before and after great.
Also remember if you are thinking about hunting in bad weather, wax you string and cables real good!!!
Old 11-12-2006, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

light rain is OK but steady heavy rain i leave. bring rain gear if there is a possibility of rain . I bring a fold up poncho with me for such an occasion
Old 11-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree with sticking it out in the rain. BUT if there's lightning, especially if I'm in a tree...........I'M OUTTA THERE.
Old 11-12-2006, 04:22 PM

I preffer to hunt in the rain, cause i like the quietness. I also like hunting from the ground. I was out tonight on the ground and it was raining hard when i got in there than just started pouring. I still had 2 does come right in less than 20 yards from me, never knew i was there, thanks to my No-Scent clothing!

Quick Reply: HUNTN in the RAIN

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.