Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Blown Opportunity----Release Loop???? >

Blown Opportunity----Release Loop????

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Blown Opportunity----Release Loop????

Old 11-10-2006, 01:26 PM

Default Blown Opportunity----Release Loop????

Last night I tried hunting in a new spot. Since I did not have much time to hunt and did not have a tree stand up, I just stood up against a tree. As it was getting dark I had anice buck (120 class)come in and was standing within five yards of me. It stood there right in myshooting lanefor almost a minute before leaving. I spent the whole time trying to get my release to click on the release loop. I finaly got it on after the deer had left. The more I think about it, I should have just shot with my fiingers or clipped the release onto the string and shot. Even though that wouldn't work for a longer shot it should have been fine for less than five yards. I think next year I am going to switch back to shooting without the aid of the loop. It makes me more accurate, but it always causes me difficulty in those times when I can least afford it. I don't think that the somewhat tighter groups are worth it. What do you guys think? Have any of you had similar problems?
Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Bartender

Default RE: Blown Opportunity----Release Loop????

What kind of a release are you using? My local archery shop stated not to use a thumb release type
with a loop.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:16 PM

I use the caliper type of release that you pul the trigger like a gun. The problem seems to come because the loop does not stay open and with one hand holding the bow handle it is imposible to open the loop in order to get it in the calipers.
Old 11-10-2006, 02:20 PM
Spike

sounds like you just need a better/new loop
Old 11-10-2006, 02:38 PM

I agree with gastler. My loop is always open and I have never had a problem getting my release on and this is my first year using a release.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like your loop isn't right. It should go on with no problem at all. That last magic hour mine stays on the loop and ready. You just never know.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Or you could have been shaking so bad with a deer that close to you and just couldn't get it on there.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Site Bouncer

I would first get a better loop material. Allen makes a very good string loop material. They come in a three pack and are not burned so you can custom your loop to the size you want.It's afirm and thick loop material so it will hold it's shape and won't wear out.

You can also try to attach your release before the deer get that close. I usually attach mine as soon as I hear something moving. Sometimes I will even sit there with the released attached. I never hang my bow, it's always in my hand resting on my lap. I never want to miss the opportunity to get a shot because I have to reach for my bow.

Good luck, I hope you get another crack at him.
Old 11-10-2006, 05:14 PM

try one of those metal ones, i got one for my i think it was called an ultra nock or something and i love it
Old 11-10-2006, 05:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do not use a loop, clip on and shoot!!

I have fond Winners Choice string serving last a long time, in the heat of the moment I do not want to mess around with a loop.

Quick Reply: Blown Opportunity----Release Loop????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.