Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bucks-2 ~ Buck Roar-0

Old 11-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Bucks-2 ~ Buck Roar-0

Last night I had a couple good chances to use the Buck Roar. About 2:00 yesterday afternoon, I had a brute about 60 yards away (8 or 10 point, 18-19 wide, massive). He was on the edge of the woods/field. I first tried a few light grunts, with an estrus bleat. He would stop and look toward me, then put his head down and keep walking. So I broke out the 'roar'. Didn't even phase him, he just kept walking with his head down. I'm not sure what his deal was, he even walked over a trail where I drug a rag with Tink's doe in rut and he just kept walking. The only thing I could think of is a hot doe walked through there before I got out to my stand.

Then about an hour later,I seen three does being chased by another nice buck (8 point, 16 wide, tall). I again tried the estrus bleat with a few light grunts. Again he would stop and look over towards me again, but wouldn't leave the does. This was a little more understandable since he was with does.

I will go back at it this weekend, but I think I will bring my doe decoy. Maybe they aren't coming in because they don't see anything. Any suggestions?
Old 11-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bucks-2 ~ Buck Roar-0

I used the growl a few times in the woods and didn't really like it.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:55 AM

Like most calls most of the time they only work in isolated cases. During the rut luck needs to be on your side when those does run through so that they can run right under your stand. Otherwise, you're not gonna call a buck away from a hot doe.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

Like most calls most of the time they only work in isolated cases. During the rut luck needs to be on your side when those does run through so that they can run right under your stand. Otherwise, you're not gonna call a buck away from a hot doe.
again right on the money