Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

good climbers??

Old 11-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: good climbers??

i love my Ol'manit gets the nod over my summit viper.its quieter going up and down the tree but both are sturdy and comfy.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Rob/PA..youre almost there...how much...not when....ahh forget it..To each their own......PEACE
Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 PM

i know everybody likes the summits but you should seriously check out the gorilla climbers in sportsmans guide. i got the big one and i think it was $150 including shipping. its all camo which is kind of pointless but its cool and it has these pivoting arms that help to level and stablize it. it has a hammock style seat, kind of like the ol'man treestands i think. it comes with a shooting rail that flips down to be a footrest and its like 23 pounds total. pretty good stand imo even though i have never tried a summit, but it seems nice and comfy and easy to climb. i think in like last months feild and stream or outdoor life there was a climber test and the gorilla won. its not the exact same one that i have but its basically the same except the the one that won had padded arm rests and the one from sportsmansguide.com is last years model and it doesnt have them. check it out though
Old 11-09-2006, 10:02 PM

while there are good climbers out there for that money...but your life and ease of mind make the little extra money worth it...I have a summit and an api love them both
Old 11-09-2006, 10:13 PM

API OR SUMMIT, i have an api grand slam lite supreme and love it, wouldnt trade or sell it for nothing, great for bow or rifle hunting
Old 11-09-2006, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

1. Lone Wolf sit-n-climb..........its expensive, but my favorite.
2. Summit stands

For around $160(maybe a little more), an overlooked climbing stand that is very good is the new Loggy Bayou Stalker XL. Loggy has now placed plastic inserts into the climbing aid making it quieter. The seat is ultra comfy, and they have placed the foot straps to the sides so you can actually use them while touching the side bars and climb much the same as a Lone Wolf or Summit. The strap that fastens the platform to the tree after reaching your chosen height is unbeatable. It also uses a cable system on the platform almost exactly like a Summit. Only downside is it cannot climb as big a tree as some climbers......around 19 1/2"-20" diameter trees.
Old 11-10-2006, 12:10 AM
Fork Horn

i think most newer stands are actually less safe then a few years ago. they are using hard plastic or rubber to grip the tree and although some grip better then others nothing has gripped as good as my old loggy that is just rubber gripped on both sides. i bought a new loggy and it got stolen found it but then left it out to get stolen again. my dad has the sit and climb loggy and just like my newer loggy it slides like crazy on anything but a perfect tree. i dont use a climbing aid with my old loggy and i love it but its hard for soem people to climb like this. ill be buying my wife the gorrila(old man) wolverine from wal-mart $97. my father in law has it and ive tried it out works great and the rubber grip is at least a little softer then most of the others which i beilieve grips better. if you can get the money though the lone wolf stands are right now the absolute best. i must also say that i have actually climbed trees with a coating of ice on them and slipped very very little. and nothing beats the lock on strap and the weight, my loggy weighs in at a whopping 11lbs with a foam seat added to it. i can also be set-up in less then 2 minutes (my brother timed me while i went at my normal pace.) from the time i get to the base until i get 20+ feet up and have the seat stap secured.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:47 AM

Check the Sportsmans Guide. They are selling Loggy climbers for $150 and that includes the climbing aid. This is a great value.

I own a Summit and a newer Loggy.I use the Loggy more because it fits my hunting style better. I know that Summit is the preferred stand on this forum, but they are not the do all and end all of climbers. They have issues too IMO.

My preference for the Loggy is that it packs easier and offers a wide open shot that due to the seat design that the Summit can't offer with their two piece set up. The Loggy will also attach to smaller trees than the Summit. This is important to me as I hunt in some timbered areas where big trees don't exist.

The Summit is more comfortable with it's nice cushioned seat and back rest, but you won't go wrong if you pick up a Loggy.

Check out the Sportsmans Guide.
Old 11-10-2006, 03:52 AM

ORIGINAL: Bradkoz

i think most newer stands are actually less safe then a few years ago. they are using hard plastic or rubber to grip the tree and although some grip better then others nothing has gripped as good as my old loggy that is just rubber gripped on both sides. i bought a new loggy and it got stolen found it but then left it out to get stolen again. my dad has the sit and climb loggy and just like my newer loggy it slides like crazy on anything but a perfect tree. i dont use a climbing aid with my old loggy and i love it but its hard for soem people to climb like this. ill be buying my wife the gorrila(old man) wolverine from wal-mart $97. my father in law has it and ive tried it out works great and the rubber grip is at least a little softer then most of the others which i beilieve grips better. if you can get the money though the lone wolf stands are right now the absolute best. i must also say that i have actually climbed trees with a coating of ice on them and slipped very very little. and nothing beats the lock on strap and the weight, my loggy weighs in at a whopping 11lbs with a foam seat added to it. i can also be set-up in less then 2 minutes (my brother timed me while i went at my normal pace.) from the time i get to the base until i get 20+ feet up and have the seat stap secured.
I just don't understand how the new Loggy could be slipping on you. I've found that since Loggy went away from the rubber backed stand base and went with teeth, the stand never slips when climbing or descending. In the old days those Loggys would slip like crazy on a wet tree. No more.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:42 AM
Typical Buck

ok, i am looking at the ol' man stands, as well as gorilla... i am a poor college student so the summit is a little out of my price range. I also have two hang on stands now, and is there any reason i should keep these? Is there any hidden downsides to owning a climbingtree stands? I like the idea of being mobile in the woods, and moving the hang on stands are a lot of work. I am not necessarily looking for tons of comfort, just something that is relativey quiet, and light.

Quick Reply: good climbers??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.