Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Busted AGAIN!!

Old 11-09-2006, 05:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default Busted AGAIN!!

Man this is getting old,
Hunting My 20 acres, and just got busted in the last untouched corner.
The last 3 times out the deer come in, get nervous, Spend 10-15 min looking around real hard and finaly spot Me 22 feet up, they will keep a hard eye on Me, but not bolt. This is making it impossible to get into position. They finaly slink off in a hurry but not running at all.

Obviously They are winding Me, but not to much, and When they finaly see Me I am rock still, and they know something is not right, but not enough alarm to bolt.

I hunt the swamp bottom and the problem is the wind changes direction every 10 minutes. I wash My cloths in sent free and hang em outside, I were rubber boots, gloves,a boonie hat with face mesh, I spray feet down with doe pee.
I am hunting out of a climber 22 feet up (20' tow string tied to bottom)
The leaves are down and I am easy to spot in open swamp bottom woods.

1) Do I need to be higher, would going to 25'-28' make a differance ?
2) Is there any hope hunting a swamp bottom with changing winds ??

I missed 2 deer, cause I had to wait them out and let them get about 25 yds away before I could move enough to get into position, problem is it was 10 min before dark both times and the "twigs" seem to disappear about 15 min before dark, what looked like a clear shot was through briers. If they where not spooked while they where under Me I would have nailed em.

I am open to ANY suggestions!!

Thanks,
Slack
Old 11-09-2006, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Busted AGAIN!!

Maybe If I mention used Tampons I'll get a response !
Come on guys/girls, I could use some advice.

SlackDaddy
Old 11-09-2006, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

So tell us your scent routine, What kind of "camo" are you using? Need more information to offer up some suggestions....

Old 11-09-2006, 08:56 PM
Typical Buck

Hey slackdaddy,

Not sure if I have ever heard of going that high....28'. Not sure why you had no responce. Is the wind usually swirling in the swap area? Im a flat lander here, not to many swamps around here. Maybe you can change from doe pee to coon or fox urine. Could they be picking up on the doe pee?? Maybe fake them out and put up a ground blind... Maybe take some spray out with you and spray down when you get up in tree stand. I know people suggest wearing as little as possible while walking to stand and taking exra clothes with you to add once you cool down.

Sorry not much help. When the rut is in full swing. Ithink the buck will be smelling something different...

Maybe bumping this back to top will get some better suggestions!

good luck!

Old 11-09-2006, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

slackdaddy...get you some camo cloth and box yourself in it so deer cant see you as well...seems like something has taught them to look up...maybe a ground blind..put a scarecrowin your tree stand as a decoy......try this to get ya thru this ruff patch
Old 11-09-2006, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think the lack of response is because we are baffled too. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Except maybe the doe pee. I had some does react negatively to some code blue estrus doe urine I put on the ground. They hit where I dragged my scent rag and stopped on a dime. They got real nervous and turned around and left where they came from. I suppose they could have smelled my boots but I wear rubber boots and spray down too.

So now I'm thinking it's better to justsmell "invisible" rather than smell like a doe in estrus.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

One more thing. I read that 80% of our scent comes from the neck up, in particular the mouth. Check your breath. Brush with baking soda toothpaste, floss daily, and avoid cajun and Indian foods! I use a scentlok head cover over my mouth and breath through my nose as much as possible. Try to keep your mouth shut because our mouths stink!

The other thing that really stinks is our hair. Do you wash your hair w/ scent free shampoo before hunting? I've heard of people using human hair from barbershops to keep deer out of their gardens with great success.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Fork Horn

might want to stop spraying feet with doe pee the deer might want to see what deer is up the tree.
to me scentsjust draw attention to yourself.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:47 PM

Don't putdeer peeon yourself. The deer walk by smell the scent look at the latter follow it up and....hey what's that. I hunt about 15 feet up. 22 is good but, too high and you might get some problems with shot angles.
Good Luck

Old 11-10-2006, 12:02 AM
Fork Horn

maybe these deer are actually hearing or seeing your entering the woods and are on alert from that. the other thing is to get some background cover if you can when i cant i usually try to hunt a tree that has two or more tree growing out of it and turn my stand so im kinda aginst the trees sideways seem to work since i shot both my deer this year from these types of set-ups. also keep an eye on how much you move when you dont see deer i know i move alot when im not seeing anything and its possible the deer are seeing you well before your seeing them.

Quick Reply: Busted AGAIN!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.