HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How many of you wear a scent lok style suit? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/164254-how-many-you-wear-scent-lok-style-suit.html)

TurkeyStalker 11-09-2006 05:47 PM

How many of you wear a scent lok style suit?

How many people believe in Carbon or Silver activated clothing? Whether it is a base layer or a final layer.

PA Hardwoods 11-09-2006 05:52 PM

RE: How many of you wear a scent lok style suit?

I wear carbon and silver fiber clothing. I do not believe it is the so called silver bullet. Or like the scent-lok ads say " forget the wind and just hunt" I do believe that when used in conjunction with other scent control practices like scent elimination sprays, unscented soaps and laundry detergent, that it helps reduce oveall human scent. I see no way humanly possible to eliminate our scent totally but I do believe it help us reduce our scent to acceptable levels.

TurkeyStalker 11-09-2006 06:07 PM

I wear Base layers all year and then when it gets cold I'll brek out the scent lok outter layer.

hardcorehunter 11-09-2006 06:40 PM

Non-believer.

Rhody Hunter 11-09-2006 07:24 PM

i also think it is b.s. Hunt the wind

Buellhunter 11-09-2006 07:36 PM

I wear my scent lok camo under my Enigma camo

MO_Bowhnter 11-09-2006 07:39 PM

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Non-believer.

heeze gutshot shortee 11-09-2006 07:42 PM

turkeystalker...I dont....cant afford one....just do all Ive been doing before these suits came along....I will however be a spokesperson if I can get one free...believe that!!

txjourneyman 11-09-2006 07:43 PM

The question was how many of you wear a scent containment suit, not how many of you believe in them. I wear one at times. I wear it because I got it dirt cheap and it is a quality garment. I don't know if I believe in its ability to stop odor. The science just doesn't add up for me. I practice rigorous scent control and pay attention to wind and the amount of movement I make on stand. I have killed deer with and without it. So, yes, I wear it, and no I don't believe in it.

ahankster 11-09-2006 07:57 PM

Well,
About three years ago I had the opportunity to get some top of the line scentlok "stuff" for about nothing. So, I bought it all, undergarments, shirts, jackets, socks, everything. Over the past three years I have used it for bowhunting and rifle hunting.

What have I noticed, not much.

I don't wear it all the time, maybe about half the time. About two weeks ago I had 4 does in a field I had set up on the edge of. Was not wearing any scentlock. I generally carry a rangfinder, but when it comes to open spaces, I like to take a few sticks and poke them in the ground at 20, 30 and 40 yards directly in front and to at least one side. Well, one of the does walks up to one of the sticks I had stuck in the ground, with my bare hand, and started licking it. For more than 30 mins, they fed, played fought and carried on with the wind blowing directly towards them (the wind had changed)Later a spike walked out and went direclty under my climber and sniffed the spot I had put all my junk tied to my pull line. He was equally unimpressed.

Fast forward to two nights ago. Same field, could have been the same does for all I know. I see two does and a young one coming throught the pines from about 150 yards, heading toward the field and me. This time, I am totally suited up. Not only that, the wind is perfect. It is in my face and they are to my right heading directly in front of me in a funnel towards the field. As the head nanny gets about 25 yards directly in front and up wind. She winds me, gets all stiff legged and starts backing away from the field. Still haven't figured that one out.

So, bottom line for me. I do still wear it when I have it ready, but I DO NOT depend on it. I hunt the wind primary and NUMBER 1. These two examples are just a few of the many that I have had over the past three years where deer did not wind me when they should when I was not wearing scentlock and did wind me when they probably should not have and I was. Bottom line, their noses are so good, unless you wrap your butt in a giant scentless condom, you are going to get busted if they are tuned in and paying attention. The scentloc is just a standby and nothing more, especially when gun hunting. I pay much more attention when bow hunting.

Just my experiences.
Hank