Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I'm *really* an idiot! LOL >

I'm *really* an idiot! LOL

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I'm *really* an idiot! LOL

Old 11-09-2006, 10:52 AM

Default RE: I'm *really* an idiot! LOL

ORIGINAL: *JB*

I hope this post doesn't get taken the wrong way. But there is something I don't understand. What happened was there was a bad shot taken. When someone comes on here and says they took a bad shot, and then they can't find there deer. Well most people on here rip them apart for taking a bad shot. So what gives with this situation. Shouldn't someones opinion be the same no matter the situation. Once again please don't take this the wrong way, I was just curious.
If you are referring to me, then you are barking up the wrong tree. I haven't been involved in anything like that in many many moons. The other thing...She didn't wound the deer, so why get all worked up about it? Live and learn. I still do in spite ofbowhunting for the better part of 20 years.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:54 AM
Dominant Buck

I think he was referring to her "seemingly" attempting a shot at a moving deer.

I guess people do it.......but I know USUALLY it would be frowned upon by MANY here.

Jeff
Old 11-09-2006, 11:01 AM

ORIGINAL: SBGobblers

I think he was referring to her "seemingly" attempting a shot at a moving deer.

I guess people do it.......but I know USUALLY it would be frowned upon by MANY here.

Jeff
I'll shoot at a moving deer depending on the situation. I'd rather shoot one at a slow walk than stop it by making a noise. By my way of thinking making a noise just notifies the deer of your presence andtransitions the animal from a relaxed state to a heightened state of awareness. In situations like that the next noise (usually the arrow release) will often send the animal fleeing and you with a string jump situation.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:12 AM

Hey I completely understand where he is coming from wondering why I'm not gettin' ripped on for the shot.

I think it depends on the hunter, for me, if they are at a slow walk, it isn't a whole heck of a lot different than a stop. I am confident in making it, and would take one again.

I am greatful that I didn't hit the deer. I don't want to wound one. My ideal situation is a stopped deer, however, if I feel the deer is too alerted to danger, I won't attempt to stop it. If it's going any faster than a slow walk, I won't take the shot. I've passed shots before for that reason, I am not one to take a shot if I'm not comfortable.

It's okay, everyone has their own comfort levels, opinions, and styles of hunting, what works for one may not work for the other. If anyone has a bad opinion of the shot I took, they are more than welcome to voice it. It isn't going to bother me and someone else may learn from it...
Old 11-09-2006, 11:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, what are you gonna do?
If you have to lead a deer because he was on the move and he stops just as you shoot, you're goona miss. That's just how it goes.

I imagine it would be pretty tough for a second person to tell the exact best moment to stop a deer so he was in your shooting lane. I'm sure you two have this thing worked out, but I have to think it's difficult.

I would rather have misses all season than one bad hit that keeps me from recovering the deer, althougheither would bother me. In fact the prayer I say on the way into the woods includes asking for a good hit or a clean miss.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:20 AM

Well, the truth of the matter is, he is a first year bowhunter and very inexperienced. I would have preferred to have let the deer keep walking, as I was allowing for it, but I can't control what he does. LOL

I told him I would nudge him with my foot next time if I wanted him to stop the deer. I didn't want him to feel worse than he already did, ya know? He is a new hunter with a new passion, I'd like to keep it that way.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Seems like you should have been doing the "stopping". Better luck next time.