Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 a pretty good idea for not spooking deer >

a pretty good idea for not spooking deer

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

a pretty good idea for not spooking deer

Old 11-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default a pretty good idea for not spooking deer

i was watching a show, where as this guy got in the woods, he would walk on his heal, than put the front of his foot down, and keep doing this, he was trying to sound like a deer walking and he did.
He said if a deer is near by and hears this he wont spook, cause it will sound like another deer, after a bit of practice you really do sound like a 4 legged animal walking.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:08 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: a pretty good idea for not spooking deer

Sounds cool. I wonder how sore I'll be after 1/2 mile like that?

Jeff
Old 11-09-2006, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes when i walk to my stand in the morning i'll tkae a few steps and then stop, then take a few steps and stop. This mimicks a deer walking too.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:49 AM

sounds credible, but anything sounds good after 2 straight mornings of spooking deer when walking to my stand. guess thats what you get when you get careless.
Old 11-09-2006, 11:49 AM
Dominant Buck

starting and stopping like that also mimicks a predator.

I bumped so many deer last Saturday going to my stand I RAN the last 200 yds. I read that somewhere.....and thought it couldn't be worse than what I was doing.

I stopped once......(nothing). I stopped at my tree......(nothing).

I wouldn't knock it 'til you tried it.

jeff
Old 11-09-2006, 12:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good idea...I will have to give it a try...
Old 11-09-2006, 12:44 PM

That is the way I was taught to walk while hunting, thought everyone knew that , not really for the sounding like a deer part, but more for keeping the sound down. Guess I had a good teach. I was showing my girlfriend the other day that exact same thing, she was makin so much noise, lol. And it does kill your shins.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:59 PM

i took some ninjitsu (sp?) when was younger and we wore these soft soled ninja shoes, and had class outside in a local park whenever the weather allowed. they taught us to walk on our heels and slowly putting your foot completely down...if you feel a stick that may crack you can adjust your foot/weight accordingly and be near silent. even in crunchy leaves you can sneak around pretty quiet.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:11 PM
Typical Buck

Another good way is to grab awalking stick and walk with that on your way in. It adds another "crunch" while you are walking, mimicking a 4 legged creature. I have walked right up on deer while doing this, until they see you they don't seem to equate that type of footfalls with humans.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

SB i woulda paid money to see that lol but hey it might work.......who ever woulda thought that bucks roar and you can take a round plastic cylinder with hole in the top and get the number one selling deer call

Quick Reply: a pretty good idea for not spooking deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.