Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

BAITING........

Old 11-09-2006, 12:06 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: BAITING........

Dont go saying that baiting deer is like shooting fish in a barrel, I hunt in Northern MI and baiting is about the only way to hunt up here and every person i know that hunts up here uses bait and it is not that easy. Unless you have hunted over bait yourself you should not be saying its not hunting and its like shooting fish in a barrel, come up here sometime and try hunting with bait and you will see that it is not that easy and is still very much hunting.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good rant, Burnie. You hit on something important here I do believe - there are many degrees of hunting difficulty. Although my weapon of choice is my trusty Hoyt compound, I have taken one deer with my recurve. Why only one? I simply don't have the time to keep up on being proficient enough with it to warrant taking it to the woods with me. For me, it is more of a challenge, just as if I were to be hunting with a spear, or with hand made deer skin moccasins running the deer down and fighting them to their death. Does a bait pile provide an advantage? Yes it does and as Burnie and others have pointed out for years, so does camo and calls and scents and setting up over food plots or well used trails.

Bottom line here is what a particular hunter uses to take game (legally) is up to them and also to decide the degree of difficulty they wish to place on the hunt. There is nothing wrong with that, at all.

All I am saying is the "hunting" methods described here would brand you a poacher and land you in jail without a hunting license for life in NY. It IS possible that your state legislators are poachers that created the baiting rule that has now passed on to state residents for years and years.
With all sarcasm and aggrivation aside, please answer this: Why would you want to take any rights away from hunters?
Old 11-09-2006, 02:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Thanks Badshot. It just gets under my skin when someone wants to feel better about themselves by bashing others. I take friends out with rifles to shot a deer over a bait pile. I do this because they dont care to get into bow hunting, and like to take a deer and put in the freezer. It also adds them to the, "friends of hunters list". I like to crawl around with a stick bow and challenge myself. I do it because thats what I like, I never had any intention on changing the hunting world with it, or use it to look down on others. I can only imagine how bent some here get when they see all the big city guys who never practice with any weapon, borrow a rifle and set in an elevated, inclosed blind with a heater and shoot a deer at 150 yards. I bet that really gets under their skin. It saddens me how some bowhunters are trying like hell to kill hunting all together by attacking other hunters over their methoids. If its legal, who cares.

If yall want to really be hunters, in the true meaning of the words "fair chase" (which is such a preverted use of the words by hunters), get out nude and kill a deer with your hands. Any weapon is an unfair advantage. (remember fair chase ). Camo is an unfair advantage, etc. etc. (wheres the FAIR CHASEin making yourself invisible to the deer). I just love to see these threads, especially when I hear these guys talk about using scents or decoys on other threads, as well as their modern compound bows.

Ill quit my ranting now.
Old 11-09-2006, 08:05 PM
Fork Horn

i see some people in here that bait say they need to or they will not seeor get deer?

so what is hunting.well i call it finding sign and a good trail and waiting.i hunt in mass and theres not alot of deer out here but i seem to get them without baiting or feeders.

p.s whats with the cap comments?
Old 11-09-2006, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

I shoot 2 bucks a season in northern michigan on state land, I dont use bait and I never will. There are many excuses to say that baiting is the only way to kill them. There are also many books to teach you how to hunt.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:15 PM

ORIGINAL: bucketmouthhauler

I shoot 2 bucks a season in northern michigan on state land, I dont use bait and I never will. There are many excuses to say that baiting is the only way to kill them. There are also many books to teach you how to hunt.
Tell me this, though:how do you find the deer on that state land? Do you look for acorns or any other type of feed? If you do, you are using a type of bait. Do you hunt over a deer trail? If you do, you are hunting over a pathway that leads to feed, which is not much different than hunting over bait. Do you hunt scrapes and rubs? Well, that is an attractant just like bait. Do you use calls? That is an attractant just like bait. Do you rattle them in? That is an attractant just like bait.Again,if a bobcat kills its rabbits in a place where he knows that rabbits feed, is he an unethical bobcat? No, he's a smart bobcat.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:28 PM
Typical Buck

My mommy says any bad person who hunts over bait isn't a real hunter or even a real man. Geez, this board is getting pathetic with posts like this and the circle jerk bashing scent lok. Keep popping them spikes and telling us how you play the wind and the old Indian tricks you use. Hilarious.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Typical Buck

As for myself, hunting isnt 100% about shooting a deer, but it sure is nice to at least see something, and baiting helps. Not everybody has access to giant tracts of farmland or natural persimmon or oak trees that keep the deer patterned goin from their beds to the trees every day and pretty much nowhere else. I hunt woods of maple and swamps of cedar, and the property is 2 hrs away, not in my backyard or in my neighbor's farmyard, so i cant spend 20 hours a week scouting and finding sign that im sure is there because ive seen it hardcore paths to my stands. We hunt permanent stands and go to deer camp for the comradery, id honestly say if for some reason none of the guys who come to our deer camp were able to hunt, we would still go up early the day before season starts, and stay til thanksgiving just to shoot the breeze and talk smart and play cards. But the fact is we get up early and hit the stands in hopes of just seeing something. Our buck pots (biggest and first) went unclaimed last year because nobody even saw a buck. think of that, 9 guys hunting 7 out of 9 days of the season over about 400 acres, and not a single guy even saw a buck, thats with baiting. so those of you who say its like shooting fish in a barrel, i hope u mean shooting w/ a pellet gun into a barrel the size of an olympic swimming pool at minnow sized fish, cuz it is by no means an easy task. and i probably shouldnt bring this up, but i will, cuz everybody else got to speak their minds. what do all you hardcore anti-baitersthink about baiting bears? you've got to be entirely against that if you're going to bash fellow HUNTERS about baiting deer. i hate to fan this flame but its sad that i feel like i have to defend my way of hunting.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

i see some people in here that bait say they need to or they will not seeor get deer?

so what is hunting.well i call it finding sign and a good trail and waiting.i hunt in mass and theres not alot of deer out here but i seem to get them without baiting or feeders.
again, hunting where you are and hunting here are like hunting two different countries. The plots of land here are so large that the deer are not pushed unnaturally. There is also not enough water(rain) to grow food plots, etc to attract deer. If I didnt want to kill a deer, I wouldnt be hunting. Simple as that. I hunt because I love venison. If I didnt want to harvest a deer, I wouldnt carry a bow or rifle out in the field, only binoculars.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:09 PM

100% wild 100% fair chase here

Quick Reply: BAITING........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.