Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Lock B. S. >

Scent Lock B. S.

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Lock B. S.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scent Lock B. S.

I think the point you're missing is that nobody ever said you NEED to use Scent-Lok to kill big deer, or any deer for that matter. There's plenty of guys out there who kill monsters year in and year out and have never touched a piece of Scent-Lok clothing. Good for them.

We're all hunters and we've all had the same experiences in the field. I've been without Scent-Lok clothing for years and had many an encounter with deer down wind of me that never spooked. I've also had deer that did smell me and spooked. These are deer that I've seen with my own two eyes and heard with my own two ears. We all know when a deer catches our wind and bolts, let's not act like we don't. And again, in my PERSONAL EXPERIENCE thus far this year I have yet to witness that sort of behavior out of any deer that has been down wind of me.

Scent-Lok isn't the end-all global solution to scent control. It won't make a monster buck walk under your stand and wait until you poke an arrow into him. It won't make a bad hunter into a good hunter. It won't help a buck grow a monster rack. It won't help your heavily-pressured public land all of a sudden be chalk full of monster deer. But it will aid you in containing your scent and help you avoid detection. That's all it's meant to do, and that's exactly what it does.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don`t think there is! Are ever will be a suit that can totally eliminate human odor.
It may help to use one? Good luck with it if you own one?But over all (imo) Its just a modernday costly hunting gimmic to make someone else lots of money[&:].

Old 11-09-2006, 07:30 AM

If it were a gimmick it wouldn't work with as much success as it does.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:37 AM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I repeat my previous. Is it really the ScentLok, or is it the precautions we are already taking?? If it works so good, why not just forget about taking a shower and all that good stuff, put on your carbon suit, and go kill deer? I've used it for 1 year and simply was not impressed. And I followed the book, believe you me. I still hunted the wind, all that good stuff. For all ya'll that use it and believe in it, great. Confidence is what it's all about, but I still say it's the precautions we already take, not the suit.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:48 AM

Well when talking about scent-lok clothing you might as well bring up the arguement that the camo pattern outside the clothing is the most important thing. I am going to try scent-lok in the future(probably buy some this weekend) I am going to buy predator deception with scent-lok. Of course I will need to take all the other precautions necessary, but this might make me more confident. The only thing I can compare it to is basketball. Back when I was in High School I wore Jordan basketball shoes. Did itincrease my abilitiesa player? NO. But it made me moreconfident, which in turn I think made me a better player. Hope that makes some sense.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Then how did all those bowhunter kills hundreds of thausands of deer before sentlock was ever invented? Like i sead! It may help to use one? Good luck if you own one. But I just don`t think it works as good or altlest not to the extent that people at sentlock or the hunters that wear it claim.
I alone with thausands of hunterseach yr Tag-out without it.
So why buy it?

Old 11-09-2006, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have some of the Scent Blocker stuff and some Scent Loc.

I don't use it all the time. I never use it in early season because the temps are too high and I don't want to sweat in the stand any more than I have to. I think I have been winded once that I know of this year. It was in a stand that is difficult because there is a ridge just off to the side of me that causes the air to swirl and the deer come from all directions. The deer I've killed this year wouldn't have winded me because the wind was in my favor. I have been winded using this stuff and other times I haven't been winded not using it when I was sure I would be winded. I think the conditions such as whether the temp is high or low, getting hotter or colder, wind direction, speed, or whether the wind direction is variable has more to do with it than what kind of clothes we have on. I take all the precautions I feel reasonable to minimize scent and consider the wind direction when choosing which stand to hunt.

My opinion is that everything helps some, nothing works all the time, sometimes we win, sometimes the deer win. That's what makes it fun.

My opinion on the scent suits is that it helps...a little.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:57 AM
Spike

[quote]ORIGINAL: Campo

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Not to mention your bow, fletching, broadheads, the spongy stuff in your quiver, wrist release, breath, nostril hairs, ear wax, dingleberries, and everything in between.

It all reeks to a deer, better off to play the wind propa like.

huhuh huhuh huhuh he said dingleberries....huhuhhh

I have a scent-lok suit and have had mixed results, but, enough of a positive result that I feel they cut your chances of getting detected. I would not have shot my buck this year without some controlling of my scent. I take a layered approach. I basically shower with scent killing soap, but three layers of scent washed long johns on, then the suit.

If I had to choose, I would say that all the prep to our clothes outside of the carbon stuff is more important (as is the wind). The Scent-Lok et all just gives and added boost.
Old 11-09-2006, 07:58 AM
Dominant Buck

The way I look at it, every little thing we can do to minimize the scent we take into the woods with us helps.

If that means spending the $250 on a full set of scent concealing camoflauge, do it. If it makes you that much more confident then you're going to enjoy yourself that much more.
I figure I have to have camo, anyways.....and I can afford to buy what I want.....so what are we really talking about, here??????

To all the guys that say there's been big deer killed for a long time.....so how can people say this stuff works....you're asking people to disprove a false positive. I could easily ask you to disprove that the bucks the people are taking WITH the suits on would have been taken if they had on regular camo. You simply can't do it. You can't prove it doesn't work....

So....if someone thinks it does.....and they want to buy it....and can afford it.....where's the rub??? It's just ONE tool in the hunter's arsenal. NOT THE TOOL......it's A TOOL.

jeff
Old 11-09-2006, 08:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: RTA47

Then how did all those bowhunter kills hundreds of thausands of deer before sentlock was ever invented? Like i sead! It may help to use one? Good luck if you own one. But I just don`t think it works as good or altlest not to the extent that people at sentlock or the hunters that wear it claim.
I alone with thausands of hunterseach yr Tag-out without it.
So why buy it?
What are you tagging out on mature deer 3 1/2 and up, or the first ones walk by?

Quick Reply: Scent Lock B. S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.