HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   missed a typical 6 by 6 with dubble drop tines and split brow tines and 3 kickers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/164058-missed-typical-6-6-dubble-drop-tines-split-brow-tines-3-kickers.html)

ABarOfSoap 11-08-2006 04:37 PM

missed a typical 6 by 6 with dubble drop tines and split brow tines and 3 kickers

i was just watching a show where a guy hit but did not kill a huge 230 inch6 by 6 buck with dubble drop tines and dubble brow tines with a few kickers (free ranging deer)

whats the biggest buck you guys haver ever missed/wounded ?

for me i missed a nice little 8 with the bow, i felt like crying

WalkSoft 11-08-2006 04:44 PM

RE: missed a typical 6 by 6 with dubble drop tines and split brow tines and 3 kickers

I have been hunting a big 8 point all season. Last Sunday, I finally got him to come in perfect. 15 yards, clear shot, the perfect shot....could have made it with my eyes closed...yada..yada. I drew back picked my spot and touched the release....I ended up dry firing my bow. (AsI drew the bow back my cheek hit the fletching and knocked it off the string.) The deer looked up at me and casually walked away....My bow came away fine except missing a peep sight. I got one slapped on. I'll be back in the woods tommorrow

Scott/IL 11-08-2006 05:28 PM

RE: missed a typical 6 by 6 with dubble drop tines and split brow tines and 3 kickers

5 years ago I missed a 180 inch 12 point (I almost cried), and my hunting buddy missed him the following year too at 30 yards. I had him within 30 yards of me that year too, but could not get a shot. We had spotted him during the night crossing the road several times.He disappeared last year and I fear he got poached.

Last year, I saw a 140 inch 8 point 3 days in a row and missed him at 40 yards the 2nd night.

Schobs 11-08-2006 06:28 PM

my first year bowhunting, 2 years ago, i missed a wide, dark antlered, short tined, 9 pointer. I had watched this buck for 15 minutes well within range a few weekends prior, problem was it was antlerless only season and i had my rifle and was lookin for baldies. It was about 730 in the mornin and i was chillin in my ground blind, when i hear a ton of crashin, and a real nice 8 pointer chased a doe past my stand at about 30 yards, but never gave me a shot, then i hear more crashin and a doe ran past at 20 yards, so i was all ready, bow up and ready to draw, and here comes the 9, i knew it was him right away, and drew back and mouth bleated and he stopped behind some trees, then took a few steps and i bleated again and put the pin behind his shoulder and let go, and the arrow hit right at its feet, he trotted off, unscathed. Turns out when you're shooting uphill from the ground at 45 yards with a 20 yard pin, you will tend to hit a tad bit low. i learned my lesson and never saw that buck again.

Ken/WV 11-08-2006 06:43 PM

I missed a 12pt with a rifle a several years ago.....it was following my scent drag with it's nose down....as it walked behind a tree I got ready, it came out the other side of the tree and then between two trees. I tried to shoot between the two trees and ended up hitting the tree closest to the shoulder. Definetly disappointed.

Biggest I missed with a bow would have to be a nice 8pt a couple years ago....ranged him at 60yrds, in a rideaway, but as I drew he took a couple steps up the bank quartering away. I didn't compenstate enough for the few steps and shot right under him at what was probaly 64-65yrds. [&:]

buckmaster_27 11-08-2006 07:16 PM

wow i never heard of someone shooting that far...with a bow.
sounds crazy to me.

darian1998 11-08-2006 07:38 PM

[:@][:@][:@]my first year bowhunting was 5 years ago. I missed what I can now say was 6x6 180-190" buck at 7 yds. It was my first shot at a buck and only my second shot at a deer ever...and believe it or not I shot under the big guy. I was pi@@ed to say the least, so i grabbed another arrow and turned around shot a 155" 8 pointer caught both lungs 30 yds with my 3rd shot:D:D:D

hldeerhunter 11-09-2006 02:45 PM

I had been hunting for about three years when i had a five point come in at 5 yards. I drew, aimed, and shot. The buck jumped straight up and ran about 50 yards. He stopped, looked back, snorted, and ran off. I didn't know what to think. Turns out I shaved his chest. I found white hair and no blood. Shot my bow the next day and discovered that my bow shot six inches low when I was up in a tree. Learned a lesson that year...have not made the same mistake since.

bigcountryok 11-09-2006 03:12 PM

Approx 160in 8pt 15yards away broadside. It was squaring off with a younger 8pt.Had my sights lined up perfect, just as I touched the release he lurched forward at the smaller 8pt. Arrow hit mid spine dropping him. too excited and inexperienced to get another arrow I thought he was done. To my surprise he drug himself into a pile of brush 80yrds away. I followed the rule of leave them be.I watched in horor as 45 min later he got up and walked away as if nothing happend. If I would have gotten on him right away I think I could have cought up with him very easily since he was on two legs. Lesson learned!

We looked for him for two days and never found anything. My taxidermist says he sees deer all the time that have broadheads in thier spine (not the one the killed them) and he thinks I just gave him a stinger and he'll be fine. I sure hope so. That was the worst feeling in the world and I pray it never happens again.

cmscat50 11-09-2006 03:30 PM

I shot a 160 class 9 point last year right THROUGH the neck. Dead center and drove the arrow 12" into the dirt behind. I was sick. I in no way tried that shot and it was the easiest 15 yard broadside shot I've ever had. He came in chasing a doe and I stopped him and rushed the shot. Had I had a gun I may have turned it on myself:(

Bigwapitijohnny 11-09-2006 03:31 PM

My very first year bowhunting, I had a 120 class 8 point come to my stand to about 30 yards. I could not draw because I was shaking too much...I kept telling myself to calm down but I could not.He just walked off, scented me and blew out of there [&o]

greenboy 11-09-2006 06:15 PM

although i never miss:D:D:Dlol i once had a 130 class eight pointer come in to 20 yrds... i shot right over the lil' bugger

Buck Huntin Girl 11-09-2006 06:39 PM

Two weeks ago I missed a 160" (approx). It was a 30 yd shot and I shot right under him. I was fine with it, just elated to see one that big! LOL I've seen him twice since then, hoping to get a shot at him again soon, but not holding out. I'll shoot whatever comes to me.

MichaelHunsucker 11-09-2006 07:11 PM

just call it a forkin 12 pointer!

Ray Hunter 42 11-09-2006 07:58 PM

Well saturday i missed a nice 8 point probly in the 120 range. i actually missed him twice. first he was under me and i didnt want to spine him and I THINK I SHOT UNDER HIM but every one says i shot OVER HIM.
BUT he hopped off about 30yds and stood and it was in some brush but there was a hole so i took the shot not thinkin i still had my sight on 20yds and totaly forgot to hold high. well of all times the arrow went threw the sticks with out touchin NOTHIN and went under him by like a half inch. I thought i was gonna puke.
Hope i get another chance at him. But if not o well.