Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 whats the maximum BOW shot you would ever take on a deer? >

whats the maximum BOW shot you would ever take on a deer?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
0-10 yards max
0%
10-20 yards max
0%
20-25 yards max
5.13%
25-30 yards max
20.51%
30-35 yards max
15.38%
35-40 yards max
21.79%
40-45 yards max
15.38%
45-50 yards max
7.69%
50-55 yards max
7.69%
60 + yards
6.41%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

whats the maximum BOW shot you would ever take on a deer?

Old 11-08-2006, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default whats the maximum BOW shot you would ever take on a deer?

whats the maximum shotwith a bowyou would ever take on a deer if it was a perfectly clear shot with no wind and a big buck?
Old 11-08-2006, 04:21 PM

Default RE: whats the maximum shot you would ever take on a deer?

This really depends on your personal practice habits and gear. I would never shot farther thanI could consistantly hit in practice.
Old 11-08-2006, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I assume you mean with a bow?
30yds for me
Old 11-08-2006, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dont get how some of you can shoot 60 yards, my sight is as low as it can go and it barley makes 40, what site/bow are you guys using?
Old 11-08-2006, 07:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

30 yards, regardless of the size of its rack
Old 11-08-2006, 07:18 PM

I voted 35-40. But that is only if the situation was absoluetly perfect. I am very confident in my shooting out to 40 yards, but I want it to be a sure thing. I am not saying that I would just fling an arrow if it was closer than 40 but the situation would make my decision for me.
Old 11-08-2006, 07:27 PM

Well, seeing as how I only practice out to 30, that's my max. Doesn't matter what the size of the deer is, they are all trophies to me. The only way I would be shooting further is if I misjudged the distance and it ended up being longer than 30 yards (not likely as I have a very conservative estimating problem lol).

The longest shot I ever practiced (3d shoot) was a 70 yard broadside shot... boy was that a toughie! Sheesh! At the time, I was only pulling 42# and I had to aim three feet high. I was right on with placement, but fell short about 4 feet or so. I can't imagine anyone taking that kind of a shot at a deer!
Old 11-08-2006, 07:39 PM

I can smoke my target at 40 yards, but when you get in the woods there are all those limbs and things that can deflect shots. I would take a 40 yard shot if it was perfect and in the open with no limbs around. I just think there could be something to deflect the shot that i cant see at longer distances so i like to keep em as close as possible.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:11 PM

Well,
I answered 35-40 because that is what I consistantly practice. I shoot at targets and 3d forms from the ground, in a tree and from a chair.
But, Last month I bought a new switchback and my groups really tightned up allot. So, one day I step off another 10 yards from a 3d target just out of curiosity and put the red pin (I only use 3 pins) just above and behind the front shoulder. Shot five arrows and could certainly tell I had solid hits. When I walked up to the target to see a group a little bigger than a softball, I was totally amazed at how great a group I shot.

So, from then on I shoot at 50 yards at least two or three times a week.Unless I really pull the shot, and can almost always call it, I cankeep the arrows within 3inches or so of the center ring.This does three things for me. First, that 40 yard target shure does look BIG after you take a few shots from 50 yards!!!! Second, it builds my confidence. If I can hit consistantly from 50, then inside that has to be easier.... right! And lastly, I know if that deer of a lifetime comes out and the conditions are right that I would be ok witha 50 yard, measured, shot. Not for everyday mind you, only a very special condition when things are perfect. That said, the more I shoot from 50, the better I get, maybe I'll change my mind someday.

Hank
Old 11-08-2006, 08:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Didn't we just have this poll?

Quick Reply: whats the maximum BOW shot you would ever take on a deer?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.