Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
My buck season is over/with picture now! >

My buck season is over/with picture now!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My buck season is over/with picture now!

Old 11-18-2002, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Default My buck season is over/with picture now!

I went out yesterday afternoon in hopes of seeing a big buck and after trudging through thick brush and saplings, I made my way to the spot I decided to hunt. I was way back about 30 yrds. from the river's edge. I spooked a doe going in and thought the hunt may be over, but as it turned out it was exciting and fun hunt. After climbing the tree I picked out, it wasn't long before there were turkeys behind me cackling and carrying on. Then 70 yrds. away I could see a mature doe heading north. Things were quiet for a while until to my right I could make out the faint grunt of a rutting buck. Soon here came a doe running my way and behind her was a very nice 8 pt. buck, one I had not seen before followed by a small 6 pt.

The doe ran past me and for some unknown reason stopped making the big 8 pt. slow down and stop only 20 yrds. away but unable to get a clear shot for some brush. Just like clockwork the young 6 pt. stopped in his tracks too and thinking back it was comical because it seemed as if the 6 pt was there as a student to learn from the bigger buck. I needed the 8 pt. to take 3 more steps for a clear shot. He seemed uneasy but eventually took the needed steps to give me a clear opening. I still can't figure out why they became so weary, the wind was in my face and there was no way for them to scent me. Anyway as I steadied my 20 yrd pin behind his left front shoulder he started to turn 180 degrees almost presenting a tough shot but as it turned out he ended up giving me a severe quartering away shot. I held and released with the arrow entering behind his right rib cage and passing through exiting slightly in front of his left shoulder. I knew I hit him good at the time but this buck was so into the rut and wanted to resume chasing the doe he actually stopped behind some willows and grunted! What a blood trail! He ended up making it 60 yrds somehow while losing a large amount of blood. Its amazing what adrenalin, will power and the doe crazed rut can do to a buck. Being we have a 2 buck limit my buck season is over now but it was one of my best seasons in a while. This past week I saw many different bucks, mostly smaller ones with one certifed monster(scared me as bad as I scared him when I jumped him) and several does. Not sure the 8 pt. will make Pope and Young yet, but I am happy with him as shotgun season comes in this weekend and then it gets very tough. We left several small bucks so hopefully some of them will survive the impending gaunlet as well as the monster we seen Monday. Pics of my 8 pt. will be added later. Whoo Hooo!!!!

Edited by - Cougar Mag on 11/19/2002 14:00:35
Old 11-18-2002, 07:41 AM

Default RE: My buck season is over/with picture now!

2 bucks in 1 season!? I'd say you had a very good year. Congratulations.
Old 11-18-2002, 07:49 AM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, and great shot. Can't wait to see the pics.

JRW
Old 11-18-2002, 07:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cougar congrats my friend sound like an awesome season.
Old 11-18-2002, 08:32 AM

Congratulations on a fine buck and great story.
Old 11-18-2002, 09:09 AM
Typical Buck

CONGRATULATIONS - Waiting to see pics.

Shoot often - Hunt always
Old 11-18-2002, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a great hunt.

Old 11-18-2002, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats Coug! Sounds like one heck of a year for you! I can't wait ot see the pictures.
ArcticBowMan's Hunting Photo's
Old 11-18-2002, 02:20 PM

Congrats.
Old 11-18-2002, 03:10 PM

nice job, looks like you are having your share of fun

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Quick Reply: My buck season is over/with picture now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.