Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Full body harness vs old style belt harness >

Full body harness vs old style belt harness

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Full body harness vs old style belt harness

Old 11-08-2006, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Full body harness vs old style belt harness

I read that only a twelve inch fall can create enough force to break ribs using a single strap safety harness.
There really are some huge forces there that are oftenunderestimated.
I use fall-protection fairly often at work. One of the things included in our training is that a 200 pound human falling a short ways of15 feet or so can exert almost 5,000 pounds of force on the anchor point to which he is tied.

Not something I want to experience.
Old 11-08-2006, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I skipped over most of the posts, but let me say this;

Try putting a safety belt around your waiste ( or under armpits).

Now go stand next to a tree.

Strap the other end as high up the tree as you can.

Now, SLOWLY bend your knees to let yourself hang from the belt. What do you notice? IT HURTS!

A co-worker told me to try this many years ago. That night I went and bought a full body harness.
I could not imagine the pain of falling and coming to the end of the strap with a sudden jolt. OUCH!
Many huntershave had lungs punctured, hung upside down, sufficated or had the wind knocked out of them by a belt.

A full body harness is the only way to go.

OSHA does not allow a simple safety belt in the work place anymore. They onlyallow full body harness.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:39 PM
BDC
Fork Horn

That's not entirely true. OSHA does allow waist belts as positioning devices only.

You are allowed up to 25' on a fixed ladder without fall protection if you use a positioning device such as a waist belt and a rebar chain assembly that restricts a fall within 2'. You are correct by stating OSHA does not allow waist belts as fall protection.

I often wonder why nobody has come up with a positioning device as an alternative to full body harnesss'. They would be easier to climb with and would not be in your way of shooting since it would be connected at your waist. In the event of a fall, your fall would be limited to 2'. This force exerted from a 2' fall would not be enough to cause any harm. Plus you would only fall down 2', would would still be able to grab your stand and pull yourself back up or shimmy down the tree.

Fall arrest full body systems are not the answer to hunt with if you ask me. They are bulky and awkward which could cause you to fall. They are in the way, which could cause you to miss or make a bad shot on an animal. But they are better than nothing.
Old 11-08-2006, 05:31 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: badshotbob

This is something I've been fighting for a couple years now. I wear a belt around my waist and have not wanted to go to a harness because they are such a pain in the kisser. I do like the vest type harnesses we've seen come out, maybe I'll try one of those.
I feel this way, exactly. I've depended on the single belt system since day one. I currently still do, however, since I'm getting older I may switch to the vest system. My bones don't heal as quickly as they used to.[:-]
Old 11-08-2006, 08:31 PM
Fork Horn

I started using the full body harness that came with my Summit stand last year and once I figured out how to put it on it hasn't been a problem. Don't see how it gets in the way much. Had to do a full turn facing the tree on the first deer I shot this year andit didn't get in the way. I just ducked under it. I wear it under a layer or two and put it on before I get into the woods so I can see what I am doing. I can't even tell I'm wearing it. Using that harness and my climber I feel more comfortable about going higher up.
Old 11-08-2006, 08:48 PM

The hss is the way to go, Takes a whole 5 seconds to put it on and it can act like a layer of cloths if you get a heavyer one. Its very comfortable but when i shot my 11 point i drew back and my arm did hit the strap and i had to bend my arm and put it under and then send that arrow right threw the lungs of the deer.
But that will happen on all of them so i cant complain. But i love my HSS and i tthink its the only way to go.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:15 PM

I suggest you use one of the saftey harness vests. These make it easy for people to wear harnesses because you dont have the hustle and bustle of putting your arm or leg in the wrong place. They keep your harness from becoming a tangled mess, and also keep your harness close to your body while hunting. They are rather expensive but i think i would give more money to keep me from getting hurt.
Old 11-09-2006, 09:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

chitownbow...get a safety vest...the end
Old 11-09-2006, 10:20 PM

i have a full body harness, never could get use to it, so i had to cut the leg straps off, i know its not safe and might break a few ribs if i fall but it beats nothing at all.....looking to buy a Hunter Safety System, seems to be the only way to go, ive heard lots of good talk about it
Old 11-10-2006, 06:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

I like the upper body half body restraint with the climbing attachment and quick release clip.