Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Dove Hunting Ban Passed in Michigan >

Dove Hunting Ban Passed in Michigan

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dove Hunting Ban Passed in Michigan

Old 11-08-2006, 10:18 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Dove Hunting Ban Failed in Michigan

Wayne Pacelle , the pres of the HSUS , has publicly stated that they will begin with a single species in a single state and work until they eventually get all hunting banned there , then move on to other states and do the same . Yes , Michigan hunters lost something by not getting the ban overturned , they lost a golden opportunity to take something away from the ARFs in a public way . It will only get worse . HSUS has conducted studies that told them for example that 9 of 10 white women in Louisiana oppose cockfighting , so they are currently targeting 200,000 white women voters in that state to get it banned , then they plan to go after other species hunting there as well . Everybody sweats bullets at the mere mention of the name of PETA , which is at best a relatively small group with zero credibility , yet they don't recognize what a well funded and dangerous group the HSUS is . They don't pull childish stunts like PETA , they go for the throat and they never let go until any hope of a win has been thoroughly trashed . They are the real enemy , oppose them at every turn .
Old 11-08-2006, 10:19 AM

Yeah, if you go to the Midwest forum, there is a post on it for "Michiganders". We have dove hunting here in Indiana, and the numbers of doves harvested continues to decline rapidly over the last few years. That is actually a side point, the bigger issue is that they are trying to get their foot in the door to ban all hunting, NATIONWIDE. I know it's big dreams for one state to have, but it shouldn't make a difference. There are people who didn't vote, who should have, especially when it comes down to protection of hunting, which is our legal RIGHT.

There is a quote by a Michigan politician in the Midwest forum stating something along the lines of keeping dove hunting illegal will help them to reach their ultimate goal of making ALL hunting illegal. I was in Michigan this last weekend and there were Proposal 3 signs everywhere, "Michigan sportsmen, vote Proposal 3!" As saturated as Michigan is with outdoorsmen, I woulda thought it woulda worked, but politics is always a guessing game.

Old 11-08-2006, 10:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

BHG

99 years without dove hunting, I could not convince my aunt it was OK.

Song bird, like I said it was a tough sell. Even in hunting famlies.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

In 2004 the ban was temporarily lifted - I thought at that time it was a good start for hunters protecting their rights. I was wrong.

Sec. 40110a. (1) The legislature hereby authorizes the establishment of the first open season for mourning doves. The commission may issue orders pertaining to mourning doves for each of the purposes listed in section 40113a, including, but not limited to, orders establishing the first open season for mourning doves.

(2) A person shall not hunt mourning doves unless, in addition to the small game license required by section 43523, the person has a current mourning dove stamp. The format of the mourning dove stamp shall be prescribed by the department. The fee for a mourning dove stamp is $2.00.

MI is third in the nation for licensed hunters, some 750,000 strong dumping $1.3 billion into our economy every year - however we couldn't pull it together to vote this through. Sad day for MI all the way around.

I saw a map that indicated the entire U.P. was pro-Granholm. I don't understand.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Kevin nailed it:

Yes , Michigan hunters lost something by not getting the ban overturned , they lost a golden opportunity to take something away from the ARFs in a public way
Old 11-08-2006, 11:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is simple

Go tell Grama or the old lady down the street you are going to shoot their song birds.

How many sporstmans did not vote? I know I did, we know StatJunk did not.

I called all my family members and talked to them, and most said no to me.
They also said they would not vote to ban any established hunting, but felt there is enough out there for us to hunt.

We are a conservative family and I was behind in votes.

We got 999,192 yes votes

We only changed 250,000 voters to vote yes?
My guess is folks did not get out and vote!
Think if we have 750,000 hunters and we all got our familes to vote with us it would be an easy victory.

Old 11-08-2006, 11:53 AM

You're not kidding about the old ladies and losing their "song birds"

My husband shot a dove in our front yard back in September with his bow and one of the neighbor ladies (lesbian couple) happened to come over to our house minutes after... the arrow was still in the ground and the dove was lying in the yard, my husband was standing there with his bow in hand. We didn't approach the dove while she was there, hoping she wouldn't notice,but my daughter happened to walk across the front yard while the lady was talking to us. "Daddy, did you just shoot this dove with your bow?" Uh... well... yeah. The neighbor got this disgusted look on her face (she KNOWS we hunt) and was like, you did *not*??!! We just stood there, trying to think of the smart thing to say... she went over and looked at it and says, "Yep, that's Henry." WTH? HENRY?

She claimed it was one of her "buddies" that sat on the peak of her garage every morning to greet her as she walked out the door. We said, sorry, he came into the wrong yard... she didn't say much else, kinda just bummed around because she was just SURE it was Henry. I heard it for the next week, "I haven't seen Henry around lately..." "Henry's mate was sitting on the roof (probably "Henry" himself) this morning... you *know* they mate for life don't you?" UGH!

So, anyway, we upset a neighbor by legally taking a bird in our own yard, but hey, that's our right. She obviously doesn't hold grudges too long, she never acted MAD at us, just depressed,and has sincestarted bringing presents over for our yet to be born daughter.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are 10 million people in Michigan. 700,000 of them are hunters. What do you think is going to happen when you vote on hunting (any kind of hunting for that matter?). This is the new strategy -Get enough signatures to put it on the ballot in a general election. Once it's on the ballot, it's a guaranteed win for the anti's because only 7% of the population hunts!

How can you expect to win in a vote when only 7% of the population hunts? Any time hunting rights go on an election ballot we will LOSE because there's alot more non-hunters than there are hunters. This strategy is very dangerous to us. It is just the beginning - you watch. Next election we'll be voting on trapping, then small game, then deer. It's only just begun. You watch.....
Old 11-08-2006, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: gzg38b

There are 10 million people in Michigan. 700,000 of them are hunters. What do you think is going to happen when you vote on hunting (any kind of hunting for that matter?). This is the new strategy -Get enough signatures to put it on the ballot in a general election. Once it's on the ballot, it's a guaranteed win for the anti's because only 7% of the population hunts!

How can you expect to win in a vote when only 7% of the population hunts? Any time hunting rights go on an election ballot we will LOSE because there's alot more non-hunters than there are hunters. This strategy is very dangerous to us. It is just the beginning - you watch. Next election we'll be voting on trapping, then small game, then deer. It's only just begun. You watch.....
Look at the % of people who voted,

We have 750,000 hunters and each of us have 5 family members in the state that is 3,750,000 votes.

3,652,962 voted total on propsal 3.
So we can beat them, problem is people did not get out and vote.

I argued for an hour with my aunts, I have over 50 family members I could not convince any of them had their minds made up

Old 11-08-2006, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Dove bill was to establish a season, my question to folks complaining what did you do to help?

Did you get out and vote!

Quick Reply: Dove Hunting Ban Passed in Michigan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.